INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

HEQ5 pro hypertune

• Thank you received: 223
As the observatory is out of actions for the time being (mainly atik 314 + PA), I will take this opportunity to take the mount back home for some "hypertuning".
When I installed the Rowan belt kit, I did notice something odd, the DEC wasn't going round and round in a nice smooth fashion.
It was smooth smooth then it got harder to turn then got very very smooth like almost no resistance at all....

They are kits available out there, and also companies doing it (at a price). I will be doing this myself.
Lots of link available
www.astro-baby.com/heq5-rebuild/heq5-m1.htm
stargazerslounge.com/topic/253097-hyper-tuning-my-heq5-pro/
stargazerslounge.com/topic/237281-rebuild-of-heq5-pro/

Stay tuned for more updates....
5 years 3 months ago #32994

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 301

Replied by Eric on topic Re:HEQ5 pro hypertune

I have done the full dismantling on mine to regrease everything (used astro-baby's excellent list by the way). Although it may seem worrying at first, processing step by step, taking pictures and keeping elements in groups make it an enjoyable session. The only point I disregarded was readjusting the polar scope angles. Not a big deal as long as its optical axis is properly centered. Key point when remounting is how much axes are compressed.
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Eric.
5 years 3 months ago #33000

• Thank you received: 66

Replied by Greg on topic HEQ5 pro hypertune

cool - good luck!
5 years 3 months ago #33002

• Thank you received: 165

Replied by Jarno Paananen on topic HEQ5 pro hypertune

I also fully dismantled my HEQ5 last summer (had done belt mod already year earlier), cleaned and re-greased everything with lithium grease (somewhat useful here where -20C and colder is still quite common) and changed all bearings to better quality ones. Changing the larger RA and DEC axis bearings isn't probably really useful, but the small ones carrying the worms were quite uneven, which might also be the case with your mount.
5 years 3 months ago #33004

• Thank you received: 140

Replied by AstroNerd on topic HEQ5 pro hypertune

Becareful with the Astro baby guide, as it’s a bit outdated, and there are a couple of things not totally correct in there...and instructions that are not correct and could damage your mount worm bearings..
5 years 3 months ago #33005

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by kostas on topic HEQ5 pro hypertune

Hi gonzo, the second link you provide is from my mount and i can assure you that it still runs at 0.9'' of guide error with my rc 8'', i haven't regreassed my mount for years and the only bearings i have not changed are the small ones for the worm gears. I am thinking of sending the mount to darkframe in order to change the worm gears for better PE and new bearings and grease but it is not at my top of the list. Best of luck with tuning your mount and don't be afraid to ask for help
HEQ5 Pro Rowan Belt Mod, GSO RC8'', SW ED80, Atik 383L+, Atik EFW2, Atik OAG, SX Lodestar, ZWO ASI 120MC
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gonzothegreat
5 years 3 months ago #33008

• Thank you received: 66

Replied by Greg on topic HEQ5 pro hypertune

Whats not correct? I can't remember having any significant issues.
5 years 3 months ago #33010

I wouldn’t bother with darkframe, as there customer service is awful, and they don’t do any better job than you could do yourself, I know someone who,paid them a fortune, and when they got the mount back they had to spen two weeks adjusting it all, to get it to work, and Darkframe would not answer their emails to help...
5 years 3 months ago #33018

there is one section which tells you to tighten the worm gear locking nut until it binds, then loosen slightly, well if you tighten till it binds, you risk damaging the bearing and distorting it..if you tighten that much.
It only needs to be tight enough to remove any lateral play...and no more...

The main lock nut above the weight bar also should only be tight enough as to remove any slack, and no more as it can cause a tight spot on the DEC axis... :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Greg
5 years 3 months ago #33019

Replied by Gonzothegreat on topic HEQ5 pro hypertune

I've started to dismantle the mount...

And I don't think this bearing is healthy...
5 years 2 months ago #33291
Attachments:

Well if I am not mistaken, and I maybe, but is that not a tapered bearing, if so it will be loose until the collars is fitted and tightened..so the play you see is normal as you Have it apart.. :)
5 years 2 months ago #33292

Replied by Gonzothegreat on topic HEQ5 pro hypertune

It is a tapered bearing, the exact model is:
simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p14781/SKF-302...mm/product_info.html

If you put the white collar (where is the weight bar sticks out), it only put pressure on the inner part of the bearing.
When I say pressure, it's very light as in too light. Even with this, the bearing moves way way too much for my liking.
There is definitely an excessive play and there is a lack of grease.
5 years 2 months ago #33297

Time to create page: 0.799 seconds