More testing this time set up was RPI3 Ch340 TL/USB adapter plugged directly into RPI3 (no handset) - No nightly update done since last test.
1. Synscan (legacy eve) doesn't connect serial imeout.
2. SWALTAZ - connects and mount is shown on Planetarium (long below south) - Is there a short cut to jump to where the Telescope if pointing (tried toggle tele tracking nothing happens).
a. Slews but hard to tell if its ok as Sync seems to be limited to the distance thats accepted -e.g. could sync with the Sun (as its dew south) but tried other Syncs further away - nothing happens.
b. Ok thought the Unpark/Park position might help but unable to set UNPARK NORTH as saving/loading configuration crashes Kstars
c. Park is a real problem - pressing this starts a "merry go round" - could not stop from software and by I had ran outside ,to zap power mount had gone thru 720 degrees in DEC (good job no Camera/elescope ) and didn't look like stopping
3. EQMOUNT connects but is not getting correct handshake (mount just sending :E reply as normal - it is a AZ mount so think we need a matrix for each mount showing what can (and does inreal world) work on each driver !
Did the Handset-rs232-FTDI-USB-RPI test again - handset firmware says 3.39.05 as is confirmed in IndiDevices after connection.
1. Synscan connects ok
a. Will not go to near horizon starts doing small loops - never stops until "Abort" used.
b. Slews go off on there merry way to where I dont know but I have to abort else it would be a disaster for cable tensions etc not o mention any kit - which i didnt connect - only the RPI.
Thanks for the continued testing Clive! It is really appreciated! The logs actually show everything is fine with the mount at least. I just added more logs to GIT. If you can recompile, please do.
Here is what I do:
1. Make sure mount in home position (Looking north with weights down)
2. Power on Mount & Synscan
3. Set time/location/etc in handcontroller. Daylight saving OFF all year long.
4. Perform 2-star alignment
5. Connect to INDI
I wasn't able to see any issues with the mount when I followed the steps above. At any rate, now that I added more detailed logs. Please check. Also, no need to test synscan_legacy.
1. Problem there are no weights on a AZGoTo - Normally point North with Alt zero for home position.
2. Normally dont set date/set/location in the handset
OK I can do (2 )set date etc in handset and do a dummy 2 star alignment so will pointing to North with zero ALT do ?
p.s. May have nothing to do with problems BUT I found when talking to my AZGOTO (had 3) the echo command <Ka> was hit and miss and notice tha Synscan App uses <:e1> to start the hand shaking process - When I wrote a Ardinuo serial/ttl to UDP bridge I could never get <Ka> (or whatever you care to use for the character after the K) to work hence use of <e:1> (which may have to be repeated x times)
Anyway I will try to recompile and test but it wont be for a couple of days
After you do the alignment process, just leave it as is. Then connect, if everything is OK, it should be on the last star you aligned to.
Regarding <Ka>, the Sysnscan driver is for communication directly using the protocol only. It seems <e:1> is used for SkyWatcher protocol i.e. when communicating directly with the control boards. For AZ-GTi, you need to always connect to port 11882 (used for Synscan protocol).
Next time you run the test, make sure to delete ~/.indi/parkData.xml and ~/.indi/Synscan* files to ensure a clean start. Thanks for your time Clive!
Mondays test after recompile IndiLib only.
Did date time ,location and alignment (2 star)
Forget to set logging in synscan to file (doh!) but Kstars log was to file.
1.Started Kstars/Ekos - moun shown pointing to Vega - last of star alignment - good start
2. Slew to Mars after Centre and track - kstars shows ok mount moved to about where it should be
3.Centre and track to Scheat - slew. OK but not centred on Kstars
4.Next M31 - Went the long way round to M31 (this is a AZ not a EQ !!!) could cause problems with cables. Dont think this happens in Synscan App but cant be certain. Again not centred on Kstars.
5. Sync given while on M31 - Kstars now showing centred on M31.
6. Slew to Talitha Borealis - slew ok but again not centred on Kstars.
7. Using Mount control - cant changed rate from 1x. All arrow keys ok Epoch shown as jnow. Motion would be too fast .
8.Attempted PARK in Mount Control - position left of North and slightly below horizon
9. Disconnec t & Stop in Ekos.
10. Restarted Ekos/Kstars (so no power off) - this time logging to file
11. Kstars shows Synscan at correct place - i.e. same as park command.
12.Slew to Navi -ok but off centre
13.Via Mount Control Search M31 followed by GOTO - Slew ok and dead centre
14.Synscan NO TRACKING possible - switch track on just flips back to off. Same in Mount control and Indi control
15.Slew to Mirfak ok
16. PARK - didn't look right at all
17.powered off- waited 20 secs powered back on. No action taken on handset.
18. Started Ekos/Kstars.
19.Started same profile as before.
20. UNPARK (tried to slew before unpark nothing happened and didn't slew message as shown in log). UNPARK position wrong Synscan shown at Corona Borealis even though mount appeared to be in real position (North at 0 alt)
21.Slew m32 - wrong position and shown wrong in Kstars.
22. Still unable to track
23. Attempted PARK - started slewing then kstars crashed.
I would like to test your new driver but I am not sure how to update it.
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:mutlaqja/indinightly
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install indi-full
but I seem that /usr/bin/indi_synscan_telescope was not updated....
I've just done a new INDI install on a newly installed RPi3b+ with up-to-date Raspbian connected to a SynScan mount via the handset cable. I also upgraded the Handset to 39.xx. I then installed PyIndi-Client and wrote a quick microservice to call from my custom app.
Broadly things work. As I have said many times, INDI is a tremendous labour of love and I want to make it work. Here is a list of my tests:
1) Indi connection:
- the little server app works and starts the correct profile with SynScan and CCD simulator.
- It can be remotely managed from a webpage on my PC with http://192.168.1.105:8624/.
- Ekos on my PC connects to it and shows the right devices.
- PyIndi connects and shows the right devices.
- If I disconnect and reconnect in Ekos, it says /dev/ttyUSB1 already in use by another process and I have to reboot the RPi.
2) SynScan tests.
- SynScan connection works. When SynScan powered down, INDI times out and reconnects when powered up.
- GEOGRAPHIC coordinates broadly work, <strong>although at some stage the altitude switches from 88m to 127m
I haven't chased this down any further. The error shows on Ekos and the handset.
- Set time works,
- get time does not. The clock on Indi does not update, although the handset is correct. Ekos and the control panel show the wrong time always, apart from the second the time is set.</strong>
- Tracking broadly works. There are some random issues, for instance I have encountered situations where the mount is tracking, but the displays (on the handset, on ekos and in PyIndi-Client are all updating wrongly. I can't repeat this, sometimes it does it, sometimes not. It doesn't cause a problem because of the next issue.
- Sync almost never works, and this is my main problem. It almost never works with Ekos, it never works with PyIndi-Client.
- Move NS or EW works everywhere.
- Set slew rate works everywhere.
So, in summary, if I can't sync, I can't share coords with PHD2, and that is my main requirement. It means I have to manually enter the DEC in PHD2 and use the ST4 port on the camera for guiding.
But apart from that, it works, and it's usable and it's neater than the solution I had before.