INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Takahashi Side of Pier issue

• Thank you received: 0
Hi,

i cant switch the side of pier position in the Mount Settings. they do only appear when i´m already connected, but i can´t click on them. Where can i tell EKOS the right side of pier for a Takahashi Temma Mount?

CS Frank
5 years 3 weeks ago #35864

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

i will specify my question a bit more.

it seems like indi is automatically setting the pier side. Which might be good if you running an observatory with a fixed mounted Telescope and a fix parking position. But with mobile equipment i have to tell the Mount each night where it is pointing to, and which side of peer it is.
Maybe i´ve overlooked something, or looking at the wrong places, but maybe someone can tell me how i should handle this the best. My normal Workflow would be: Pointing the Camera and Mount to a certain position and sync it with my Planetarium Program, like in this case kstars. Then tell the Program if it is pointing west or pointing east.

CS Frank
5 years 3 weeks ago #35905

• Thank you received: 375
Frank, as we discussed off-line I don't have much experience with Takahashi Temma but... maybe you could consider changing workflow. Even for mobile equipment I always start my mount in parking position pointing to polaris, then I slew to an object, plate solve with Sync option selected, repoint to the object, plate solve with Slew to Target option on (iterative capture and slew until within predefined precision - default being 30").
This way I don't care about pier side because software takes care of it and I never miss an object.
5 years 3 weeks ago #35919

Hi Radek,

yes, i thought about that already. Might work, although i can´t really trust it, because sometimes i change the rotation of my Camera to 180°. But i have to try it.
But i still think its either a misconception or a mistake by me, because in indilib connection its greyed out and all other tasks can be switched on and off. It also has this underscored capitals like E and W to toggle them East and West. Still not really trust it.

CS Frank
5 years 3 weeks ago #35948

• Thank you received: 420
Even if you change the rotation of the camera 180º the pier side doesn't matter. Stacking software like PixInsight and AstroPixelProcessor are very well capable of determining the image rotation and will correctly stack the images. Or perhaps you could explain why the camera rotation matters to you without me being pedantic :)
5 years 3 weeks ago #35952

Hi,

i mentioned it because it makes a difference in plate solving and "directions". If the Mount driver ist set to East or West, makes a difference cause, the Motors will possibly go into the wrong direction and GoTo fails.
Of course i know that almost each stacking software is able to stack flipped images, cause i´m doing that all the time:-)

CS Frank
5 years 3 weeks ago #35953

Hi,

The plate solver in Ekos takes the camera rotation into account and will move your telescope into the right direction when asked to slew to the object as described by Radek.

CS, Wouter
5 years 3 weeks ago #35984

Hi Wouter,

i need to try it under the stars. But anyway, there must be a possibility to overwrite the east or west side of pier, this is at least the case in any ASCOM environment, but maybe this is different in indi. I don´t know, but would love to hear how other takahashi users experienced this.
CS Frank
5 years 3 weeks ago #35985

Hi Frank,

When you start Ekos you get a popup with the configuration options of your equipment. In the Main Control tab of the mount you can set the pier side. I haven’t really used it but you may want to play around with it and see what it does and how it behaves.

CS, Wouter
5 years 3 weeks ago #35988

Hi Wouter,

but this is exactly what i´m talking about:-) I can´t play around with it, cause i can´t click on it, it just doesn´t change the pierside.
CS Frank
5 years 3 weeks ago #35992

Hi Frank,

OK, I get it now. Rrrright, sorry can’t help you there.

CS, Wouter
5 years 3 weeks ago #35999

Time to create page: 0.651 seconds