INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

RA incrementing when parked

• Thank you received: 15
Hello,

I am working with EKOS and KStars with my custom scope. In EKOS the Telescope corrdinates show the DE to be fixed at 90.00 but the RA keeps increment beyond 0. At the present, it is 10:22:16. This almost looks like a timer. Parking the OTA resets the counter to its position. Is this a feature?
4 years 11 months ago #37585

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 420
This is normal because of the rotation of the Earth. The park position is fixed in azimuth (and altitude). Since the default park position is at a Celestial Pole, declination = +/- 90º so that doesn't change. But RA is supposed to increase and do one complete loop of 24h over the course of one Earth rotation which lasts 23h 56m 04s.

Clear skies, Wouter
4 years 11 months ago #37594

• Thank you received: 15
Hello,

Thank you for your reply. Yes. When tracking an object, RA must move in with the rotation of the earth. However, Parked is a stationary position. Nothing is tracked. So, this counter then is the delta from original position it must add to be inline with the rotation of the earth in the current before the next tracking event.

I thought I might have turned on something or had a corrupted file that was causing a fixed position to be counting.
4 years 11 months ago #37602

• Thank you received: 420
It is the other way around. When tracking, the Right Ascension of the telescope doesn't increase. Azimuth does, but not Right Ascension. That is exactly what tracking is about.

When parked, it is the other way around. Azimuth will remain fixed because the telescope is aimed at the same fixed point with respect to the horizon. It doesn't compensate for the rotation of the Earth, so the Right Ascension of the telescope slowly increases until it reaches 23:59:59 and then resets to 00:00:00 and starts increasing again.

Clear skies, Wouter
4 years 11 months ago #37608

Time to create page: 0.546 seconds