INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

calling iOptron mount users

• Thank you received: 223
From the back of my thread recommend-a-mount-please , opening this new one as I would like to know who here uses a iOptron mount (any models)?
If you do, which one please, which indi driver, issues, pros/cons, guiding graph available, etc..?

thanks
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Gonzothegreat.
4 years 11 months ago #38321

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 51

Replied by Patrick on topic calling iOptron mount users

Hello,
I am an owner of a CEM60. I am using Kstars/Ekos/Indi with success on this mount.
What informations do you want to know ?
4 years 11 months ago #38330

Thanks, I'm interested in reliability of it, tracking capabilities, ease of setup/use etc...
4 years 11 months ago #38334

• Thank you received: 24

Replied by Tarun on topic calling iOptron mount users

I have the iOptron CEM25p. Its super light , tracks decent but is plagued with DEC backlash issues. From the Indi side apart from guiding after meridian flip rest works fine. Guiding goes haywire after meridian flip and this bug hasn't been fixed yet.
4 years 11 months ago #38336

• Thank you received: 19

Replied by fmozza on topic calling iOptron mount users

You've seen my response to your thread on Polar Alignment. I've had a CEM60 for about 1 year and it's been in my obs since early May last year. I have no issues with it with one exception where I was using it at about -30 C (well below it's rated temp) and other than that, it has worked well.

It work very well with INDI, so much so I never use the hand controller for anything other than to set the zero position and occasionally to park the telescope. If I had to by another mount again, I would buy the CEM60 again.

jmh
4 years 11 months ago #38338

• Thank you received: 51

Replied by Patrick on topic calling iOptron mount users

The CEM60 is a best value for the price. I use it in semi nomad way. I mean I get it from house to backyard each time I need or on the field. The weight of the mount (12kg) instead of the 17kg of my previous one is a plus and make it easy to handle. As I said I use it with the triptych Kstars/Ekos/INDI running indifferently on a PC or a Tinkerboard.
As fmozza I rarely use the handset.
The polar finder is enough accurate to set a polar alignment close to few arcs minute. I complete the manual polar align with the Ekos polar align function.
Guiding is really accurate from 0,15 arcsec to 0,5 arcsec RMS depending of the position of the telescope and the turbulence conditions.
The only thing that is a bit disturbing at the beginning is the clutch system (not really clutch) which is a engage/disengage system. But after a while it is a really good thing. It allows to do precise balance of the setup as it is free of friction when disengaged. Maybe the design of the mount helps a lot too.
A great plus too is the inboard USB hub that allows to minimize the number of wires from PC to mount.
As I am in a relatively protected zone from light pollution I have In my project to build a fixed observatory. And I think I will put a CEM120 inside it.
4 years 11 months ago #38345

I've also read on the CloudyNight forum about this backlash issue on the CEM25, how bad is it?
4 years 11 months ago #38366

Would you mind please taking some physical measurements of the mount? I cannot find anything interesting online.
Length, width, height ?
4 years 11 months ago #38371

• Thank you received: 33

Replied by Brian on topic calling iOptron mount users

I have the CEM25P too and really like it. The manual is here: www.ioptron.com/v/Manuals/7100P_CEM25P_Manual.pdf
the technical specs are at the bottom of that pdf.
I measured mine at 8 5/8" high about 12" front to back
Chris Howard, a user on this forum has a nice video of his CEM25P setup that might give you a better idea of its actual size.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gonzothegreat, Chris Howard
4 years 11 months ago #38379

Hey Brian,

A quick silly question, seeing at this mount is a Z shape (I think that's how they call it) is there a limit sensor on the RA axis?
That thing can't do a 360° rotation, can it?
4 years 11 months ago #38401

• Thank you received: 24

Replied by Tarun on topic calling iOptron mount users

NO it does not do 360*. It can max go 10 * past the meridian on both side after which the saddle hits the mount.
4 years 11 months ago #38402

Do you guys connect your Raspberry Pi straight to the mount or still have to use the controller?
Found this post indilib.org/forum/general/3788-running-a...ing-setup/28788.html
4 years 11 months ago #38404

Time to create page: 0.329 seconds