INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

EKOS not pointing correctly

• Thank you received: 4
Greetings All - First time contacting the forum so here goes...
I have just recently setup a RasPI (Ubuntu-Mate, 32GB card) build of KStars/Ekos on an HEQ5 mount. No issues talking to the mount or associated cameras etc - BUT - I cannot get my mount to point correctly. The issue seems to be in RA and appears to slew too far west (by about 6 hours). Site information all seems correct. When I run the same mount directly from my Win10 laptop using KStars/Ekos - works just fine. When I try running from the laptop and connect via the RasPI same problem as before. So it seems that the issue is on the RasPI side. My preference would be to run completely from the RasPI. Any wisdom out there?

Many thanks
4 years 10 months ago #38632

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Check the time on RPI, it needs to be accurate. Check the UTC offset in Ekos.
4 years 10 months ago #38640

Thanks for getting back to me. Both RPI time and the UTC offset are correct. Both KStars and EKOS report the same correct time and this appears in the log as well on startup. But it certainly seems that despite this EKOS thinks it is about 6 hours later than it should be! Again the odd thing is that when I run directly from the Win10 laptop and bypass the RPI everything works as expected. SO - is there another way I can check to see if the time from the RPI is being passed correctly to EKOS?
4 years 10 months ago #38641

• Thank you received: 138
Could this be a time zone issue?
4 years 10 months ago #38643

• Thank you received: 140

How can you run direct from a win 10 laptop and bypass the rpi, as INdI does not run on windows..?
4 years 10 months ago #38650

• Thank you received: 420
Also make sure that your site coordinates are setup correctly. W is negative, E is positive.

Wouter
4 years 10 months ago #38661

I use the IndiServer for Windows (www.cloudmakers.eu/windi/). It hooks to ASCOM/EQMOD and works fine. This by-passes the RPI but also misses the simplicity of running everything from a RPI!
The following user(s) said Thank You: AstroNerd
4 years 10 months ago #38676

Yep - done all of this and everything looks normal. Indi-Control Panel shows correct lat (53 30') and lon as 246 30' (same as -113 30 which Edmonton, Canada). KStars uses -113. So my hunch is that somewhere in the food-chain either local time is not being set correctly or lon is not being passed correctly.
Thanks for responding.
4 years 10 months ago #38677

It seems like it could be but the control panel shows the correct UTC-correction (-6h for MDT). I am tempted to carefully measure how far off I am in RA (dec seems fine) and set a new geographic location using an off-set lon to compensate. Of course it is cloudy for the next week or so!
4 years 10 months ago #38678

Time to create page: 0.605 seconds