INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Eqmod and custom gear ratio

• Thank you received: 0
Hi

I have NEQ6 mount with belts (2.5:1 ratio) and 0,9° stepper motors, so my final gear ratio is 5:1, which is different then original ratio in this mount.

It is possible in easy way to change ratio in indi to get good working goto and tracking?

Best regards
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Korneliusz.
4 years 7 months ago #42279

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 7

Replied by Lars on topic Eqmod and custom gear ratio

Hi,
I also have that problem. I have rebuilt my EQ6 mount from spur gear to belt drive and now have a different gear ratio. When I use EQMod in Windows there is a setup where I can setup custom gear ratio. In EQMod Indi I cant find where to do it. In the EQMod Mount Firmaware I have found the ratios for RA/DEC steps and RA/DEC IT Freg, but it's not possible to change it.

Anyone with an idea or solution ?

There were also a setting in EQMod Windows for RA drift, that one is needed too. I can't find it in EQMod Indi.

Here is how I changed the gear ratio in EQMod Windows:
www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/projects/pr...ling-rebuilding.html

Who built the Indi EQMod ?

I really want to use Astroberry to controll my equipment, but maybe this stop that.

/Lars
4 years 4 weeks ago #50221
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 0
Hi

I found solution in indi code. I attached screenshot from file skywatcher.cpp with marked places where you need insert values for your mount. Then, after this changes you need compile sources and install it.

How compile and install Indi from source you can find here: github.com/indilib/indi

astropolis.pl/uploads/monthly_2019_09/51...dc1dea217d02e049.png

Best regards
Korneliusz
Last edit: 4 years 4 weeks ago by Korneliusz.
4 years 4 weeks ago #50222

Hi Korneliusz,
That was a fast answer, thank you very much.

Then there is a solution, but I need to change the DEC ratio too, maybe just scroll down in the list.

What happen when there is an update of EQMod, will the changes dissappear ? Maybe better if it's possible to have some over ride of the original settings as other parameters are possible to do with and then it's saved so it's there when EQMod is updated.

But that is far too complicated for me to do, I know a friend, maybe he could do it.

I think there are many people that have rebuilt there EQ6 mount or similar and need a custom gear setup. Maybe something that can be implemented as standard in EQMod ?

Thanks a lot for the information !

/Lars
4 years 4 weeks ago #50223

• Thank you received: 226

Replied by Andrew on topic Eqmod and custom gear ratio

You could compile a custom version of the EQMod driver and give it a unique name.
4 years 4 weeks ago #50232

Hi,
Yes, that sounds like an good idea. It will just take some time to learn how to edit and compile the file.

Thanks !

/Lars
4 years 3 weeks ago #50262

Hi Korneliusz,
Now I have succeded to download the INDI library with drivers. I use the tool Eclipse which I used to develop Plugins written with JAVA. It can handle C++ files also after I downloaded some complement. I have edit the Skywatcher file with the custom gear ratio according to your instructions. Still I can't compile it, but I think I get it to work in the common days, it's just a setup in the Eclipse tool, the C++ compiler is already downloaded and installed.

After that I made a copy of the compiled EQMod directory, but how to transfer it to the Raspberry from the PC. Shall I set the SD card in the PC and copy it, or is there other better alternatvie ?

And what happen when I start Astroberry, will the new EQMod2 driver show up in the list of INDI drivers by automatic ?

Thanks for all great help !

/Lars
4 years 3 weeks ago #50466

• Thank you received: 226

Replied by Andrew on topic Eqmod and custom gear ratio

It would probably be easier to compile it on the pi itself and avoid any complications with setting up a cross compile configuration.
This might help.
indilib.org/develop/developer-manual/163...ent-environment.html
4 years 3 weeks ago #50468

Time to create page: 0.427 seconds