INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Requesting feedback from 10Micron users

• Thank you received: 139
I've just received a new GM1000 HPS mount. I've been trying to get it going in EKOS, but am unsure of a few settings. I have the mount with a GPS unit.

Should Ekos be set to update the mount, or should the mount be set to update Ekos?
What are the specific driver settings I need set on each tab of the mount driver?

I tried to issue slew commands, for the most part this worked.
Plate solving did often show some odd results for the object I slewed to, it would often show some very large offset numbers despite that the object was visible and centered in the capture. Could my UTC time be off causing the coordinates to show something strange?
I tried to guide just to see how guiding looked with this mount, and it would not calibrate. It just said calibrated aborted. I don't know what's going on here. I realize I don't need to guide this mount with a good mount model created, but I have not got to this point yet.
After some time, Ekos gave me errors when trying to Issue a slew command, and the mount would no longer slew. But I could pick up the hand control and issue a slew command to a star or object. I don't know what's going on here. I'm on WIFI, so I suppose it could be losing mount connectivity. But I'm not sure.

Any help would be appreciated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craig
4 years 5 months ago #45363

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 62
hi Andrew,
the only setting I ever changed are the coordinates in site management tab. The driver worked fine for me since the beginning and never had an issue.
Chose to have 'mount updates ekos' with the only reason that the model is built inside the mount and I didn't want any external input affecting that.
But first of all download MountWizzard3 by Micheal (who usually reads this forum), it's a great software that will help you in polar alignment and building a model for your mount . Since you have a mount that allows for autoguiding I wouldn' t spend a minute trying to guide.
4 years 5 months ago #45368

How are you dithering? Without guiding of some kind, even if it's very infrequent, you need to dither.
4 years 5 months ago #45384

• Thank you received: 11
EKOS on top of dithering can do a polar alignment and mount modelling too. Wondering if anyone is using EKOS for all of this or still using the hand controller.
4 years 5 months ago #45385

Yes, but the 10Micron mounts need an initial alignment from either their hand controller or a piece of software that's capable of sending the proper alignment data to the mount. Mac/Linux users use MountWizard to do this. Ekos can do a polar alignment but you don't want it to overwrite any modeling done with other software on the mount. Ekos also can't do an alignment if you can't see Polaris (like me). And dithering only works if you're guiding. But this mount doesn't need guiding, and so I'm asking how would you dither without guiding. You would have to use some guiding in EKOS, but in my one time outside with the mount, I couldn't get guiding to calibrate. So maybe I have some setting incorrect.
4 years 5 months ago #45386

• Thank you received: 62
indilib.org/forum/ekos/5408-dithering-without-auto-guiding.html

But since this topic was started I didn't have the chance to test it.
4 years 5 months ago #45392

Good to know. Thanks.
4 years 5 months ago #45401

• Thank you received: 8
This is actually not the case. 10Micron has updated firmware since then and now it just takes the first three points as base points. You can just make the model in Ekos lets say 20 points and 3 of them are base points and 17 are refine points. As long as they are all spread over the sky there is no problem.

There is a bug though that I am trying to get a fix for. Look at this thread. indilib.org/forum/mounts/5180-alignment-...slewing.html?start=0

Here is a quick video I made on where / how to model in 10Micron.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by Micheal Fields.
4 years 5 months ago #45405

What are the steps you take to do this? Are you only using the alignment tab in EKOS? What settings did you use for your mount to sync the points?

Screenshots of your settings could be helpful if it’s easier than describing it.
4 years 5 months ago #45406

• Thank you received: 8
Do you not see the video I made special for you that I linked above?
4 years 5 months ago #45429

Cool, I missed that before. I’ll take a look.
4 years 5 months ago #45430

Wow, OK, I had no idea you could do this. I've been using Ekos for probably two years and never pressed that button. Haha. Probably my previous mounts didn't support it.

Ok, so if you can make a mount model from within EKOS, what settings do you want for your mount. I had a few folks on Cloudy Nights insist that the Mount always update Ekos. Should it be the reverse for this? Or does that not matter when sync'ing alignment points? What do your mount settings look like in the mount driver? Are you using the default settings?
4 years 5 months ago #45434

Time to create page: 0.479 seconds