INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Meridian Flip Configuration

• Thank you received: 28
I guess I don't understand how to configure the meridian flip for my EQ6-Pro. I put HZ>0.5 hours into the dialog box for the mount, and EKOS stayed on the west side of the pier more than an hour past vertical. The message about upcoming flip was saying it would be more than an hour for the automated flip. However, the mount was pushing my camera into the pier. Is there a comprehensive demonstration of how to get the mount to approach a target on the correct side of the pier? I found a YouTube video of a meridian flip in the CCD module.
4 years 1 month ago #49295

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 370
As stated in the other thread , it seems to be a configuration problem with EQMOD.

If you want to see how it works, use the simulators for mount and CCD. Slew to a position close but east of the meridian and wait until the meridian is crossed. Then you should see that the mount takes a roundtrip as it is typical for a meridian flip.

- Wolfgang
4 years 1 month ago #49297

• Thank you received: 420
I use EQMod with my HEQ5 and EQ6-R all the time and meridian flips always happen very shortly after the limit set by me. I have it set to 0.5h as well. The mount tab tells you how long to go until a meridian flip will happen. What version of KStars are you using? As usual, debug logs help to investigate what was going on.

Wouter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craig
4 years 1 month ago #49299

I can confirm the simulator (when pier side is enabled) performs as I would expect. Slews to a position from east of the meridian to >0.5 hours west of the meridian swap sides from the west side of the pier to the east side of the pier.

When I pointed the scope at a location just east of the meridian, the scope was on the west side pointing east. It didn't switch after it was 0.5 hour beyond the meridian. However, I followed up by pointing the scope near the NCP and the following slew to to the same target was east pointing west. Note the capture module was not being utilized on any of the simulations.

I ran another simulation with captures running, and the flip occurred as expected.
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Richard Beck.
4 years 1 month ago #49304

I'm using KStars 3.40 from the PPA on Kubuntu 19.10.

I didn't have the mount logs recorded. I have enabled them now. The next time I'm out (cloudy for several nights is forecast), I should have mount logs as well.
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Richard Beck.
4 years 1 month ago #49305

• Thank you received: 133
OK, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIR meridian flip is only active during capture and/or when the scheduler is running. So in doubt for your tests use the simulator camera to run a sequence.
But if the mount display of ekos tells you it is still 1h until flip when the scope is already past vertical, most likely the issue is either a wrong time or a wrong location. Check both, I'd say...
4 years 1 month ago #49362

Time & location have been checked and confirmed to be correct. I will double-check at the mount when weather allows.

I guess the solution may be to manually force the the mount to pier east when in a situation such as I was.
4 years 1 month ago #49363

Indeed, thats wrong. The meridian flip is issued as soon as the constraints are met. If a capture is running, the mount waits until the running capture is finished an pauses it until the flip is completed.

So for testing with the real hardware, there is no need to wait for good weather, Simply position the scope close east of the meridian and have it tracking. Then a meridian flip should take place.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian, Peter Sütterlin
4 years 1 month ago #49366

• Thank you received: 133

Mea culpa then - has this changed? ISTR that I had run into this, though about a year ago.....
4 years 1 month ago #49367

I would say we introduced it roughly a year ago. Meanwhile the meridian flip is completely independent from Capture and Scheduler
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craig
4 years 1 month ago #49368

Despite your comment that the meridian flip is independent of the capture module, my simulation didn't perform the flip unless the capture module was running. This seems consistent with my experience under the stars.
4 years 1 month ago #49369

Hm, that's strange. Could you please post the logs? Maybe there is something else wrong - or just a new bug occurred.
4 years 1 month ago #49372

Time to create page: 0.516 seconds