INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Meridian Flip Configuration

• Thank you received: 17

Replied by S on topic Meridian Flip Configuration

I actually can not remember, so I can neither confirm nor deny that statement :-)

I'm at summer time now, so the season may be close to over here and I'm not sure I will be able to test it further. But i has happened many times and with different version of kstars/indi. I have been using the development version the last few months, if that matters....
3 years 11 months ago #51409

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 370
Pit, it sounds like there is a problem with the pointing model. This matches to the situation that Niki reported here .

Since the problem does not occur with my Avalon mount, it seems to be specific for some mounts.

- Wolfgang
3 years 11 months ago #51449

• Thank you received: 420
In the KStars settings under Ekos -> Capture is an option "Reset Mount Model After Meridian Flip". Perhaps it helps to enable that?

Wouter
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Wouter van Reeven.
3 years 11 months ago #51453

• Thank you received: 133
Yes, I agree. But it definitely is a new one, I have not ever seen it last year, only now. And there had been no changes to the driver side (ieq).
I read some commit logs mentioning pier side info for mounts that don't have it native (like my CEM60). Could it be related to that, or maybe some change in an xml file that wasn't updated properly in our config directory?
I had intended to investigate this further, but they have now put our observatory in LockDown, and I no longer can access my equipment for the next 2-4 weeks :((
3 years 11 months ago #51454

I somehow doubt it, at least in my case there was no meridian flip involved at all, it was a plain slew to target....
3 years 11 months ago #51455

Perhas clear the mount model manually before doing the slew? Sorry, I haven't followed the whole discussion. Does this happen from the first slew on or does it start to happen after a few slews?
3 years 11 months ago #51457

Clearing the mount model would be a temporary quirk. It was working fine without that whole last year. The initial slew was spot-on, the error only occured when going to the other side of the meridian. Unfortunately, it was the first time I did it this year, and currently I no longer have access to the hardware to (re)verify it :(

But maybe those having similar problems could try this, i.e., not wait for an automatic meridian flip, but just manually go to the other side and see if the problems are the same?
3 years 11 months ago #51512

• Thank you received: 138
I'm not sure but is everyone who is reporting a problem with the position reached after a long slew, maybe a meridian flip slew, using EQMOD?

Some of you are but some don't seem to have said.

The reason I ask is that AIUI EQMOD has a sync mode which adds the sync position to the mount model and a precise align will do a lot of syncs very close together. These could distort the mount model so it is much less accurate a long way away and a meridian flip slew is a long slew, 180 degrees in the hour angle axis. If that's the case then disabling this mode and selecting a sync mode where the sync point is not added to the mount model may help.
3 years 11 months ago #51524

I have been doing automated meridian flips while imaging an object for the past weeks using EQMod and my telescope always ended spot on on the target after the flip. I do have the “reset mount model after meridian flip” enabled.

HTH, Wouter
3 years 11 months ago #51527

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by Niki on topic Meridian Flip Configuration

I had time to test this on Wednesday night. I was up at the time the automatic flip occured and have checked the box like said above "reset mount model after meridian flip"
the flip was spot on with only one correction.

Seems this does the trick.

I will observe the next times.

Thanx for the tipp.

niki
3 years 11 months ago #51541

Time to create page: 0.886 seconds