INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Anyone using the Aastro-Physics GPO CP2 driver?

• Thank you received: 0
Hi there,

I am trying to get started with this driver with my AP900. The problem I am finding is getting the mount to start from parking. The mount does not seem to know where it is starting from, and does not either know how to park. My mount-telescope always stars pointing to the pole (park position 3 in the ASCOM driver). However, as much as I try to change things it will never seem to find its way. KStars in configured at my exact location (near, Barcelona Spain) and the time zone is UT+1.

Anyone using it with success ? I would appreciate any help on setting up the mount to start from "Park 3".

Thanks,

Josep M.
4 years 1 month ago #49994

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

An example of what I am experiencing is as follows:

I am starting from the pointing to North Pole Position. I send the mount to Castor (it is still about 2 hours from transit). However the telescope goes the other side of the sky and ends up pointing somewhere toward the cenit aproximately. In Kstars what I see is the telescope path crossing the ecliptic line in a funny curvy fashion towards Castor. Obviously I infer from this that the unpark move was not carried out as it should.

Josep
4 years 1 month ago #50003

Hi there,

Reporting back again ...

I managed that the mount recognised its position (astrometry.net) at a particular target (NGC2903 in Leo) then sent it to park. The mount stopped past the polar position, maybe some 15-20º off in RA, but not completely sure. I moved the mount to the exact polar position with the RA drive, then set it as new park position, and "write". Also saved this configuration. After unparking, sent it again to a particular target successfully (again the same Leo galaxy). After that I sent it to parking position ... but again was about 15-20ª off in RA (Dec is fine). I concluded it has to do with the time settings, but I think I have them good.

Josep
4 years 1 month ago #50008

• Thank you received: 19
Hello Josep

sounds familiar to me.

In GTO Keypad Controller, Version 4.12 (11-18-03) chapter Communicating with Your Mount When Writing Your Own Programs AP describes what sequence of commands have to be sent to the controller before any move can take place.

If this sequence is not strictly followed, then things go as you described them (offset park position etc.) and as soon as time zone changes from CET to CEST things will be even more confusing.

I quickly went through the sources of the INDI AP drivers: but I'm not yet sure if one of them follows the above mentioned sequence.

Can you try out each of them? You can initially sync the mount in plain daylight (without having mounted the telescope) setting it at HA = 18 hours and DEC = 0 (with its setting circles). Then use kstars and sync it to AZ = 90 degree and Alt = 0 degeree. Then use kstars to move and park it.

Please post the log files together with the driver name and your observations.

Kind regards, wildi
4 years 1 month ago #50044

Hi,

Sorry I have not been able to set up and do more testing, but will do ASAP.

As I have the CP2 electronics, the main driver I have been testing is the second on your list. After desperation, I also tried the experimental driver, but I believe this one was meant for the newer cp3 units, after reading the instructions on this driver.

Regarding the specifics of you are asking me to do, I have some doubts:

"Can you try out each of them? You can initially sync the mount in plain daylight (without having mounted the telescope) setting it at HA = 18 hours and DEC = 0 (with its setting circles).

***you mean connect driver, unpark (?), setting at HA (???)=18h ... sorry I do not get it !

Then use kstars and sync it to AZ = 90 degree and Alt = 0 degeree. Then use kstars to move and park it.

***also, lots of douts. Do you mean move manually the mount to that position, then sync "manually" (tell the mount where it really is), then park it ? what parking option ?

Please post the log files together with the driver name and your observations."

*** I need to check how to save the logs in Kstars, as I am not familiar

Sorry about all the questions, I am a bit overwhelmed !

Josep
4 years 1 month ago #50145

• Thank you received: 19
Hello Josep

ok, it was a bit a rough ride.

I was asking you to set up the mount as usual but e.g. beside your desk having telescope and counter wights removed. For this purpose we do not need to sync with a real star hence you can do that at any (day-) time.

Start kstars and create a profile with the driver you want to use and ev. with CCD simulator. Start this profile with Ekos. Then bring the mount into this position:

The water level ensures (enlarge the image to see the bubble) that the mount points now either to AZ = 90 or 270 degree and at ALT = 0. Now in kstars zoom to the East and click sync:

Remove the water level in case you did not use your eye. The mount is now in a defined position.

Now, you can do a GOTO with kstars and watch how the mount moves. E.g. if you choose a star near the zenith the mount should point to this region too. But bear in mind, that this is meant to be relative to the telescope hour axis. As a second step park the mount and watch what happens.

How to acquire and post log files see How to submit KStars/INDI Logs .

Kind regards, wildi
4 years 1 month ago #50156

Hi Wildi,

After some very busy days, some free time to do some testing.

I did as you suggested. Scope and counterweights off, pointed to E, synched, then moved the mount from there towards meridian. When pointing to a star (Epsilon Gem) which was yet to cross the cenit, but close, the mount did a meridian flip, which I believe shouldn't have done (this is exactly what had been happening on previous occasions, and which I do not understand). FInally when parking the mount, the RA axis is changed roughly about 1-hour where it should be in a perfect pointing-North (Polaris) parking.

Let's see if I can include the log in the message,

Thanks again for your patience.

Josep
4 years 1 week ago #50775

attaching log here

File Attachment:

File Name: log_19-37-34.txt
File Size:3,398 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: log_19-37-34.txt
File Size:3,398 KB
4 years 1 week ago #50776
Attachments:

Hi Wildi,

In order to illustrate a bit more the problem I took some pictures of all the sequence of actions that I carried out as you suggested with the GTO CP2 driver. I numbered the actions so that you can follow what I did, and see the result.

1. This picture shows shows the Parking position when the driver is started and the connection is established (in WIndows I would normally use the Parking Position 3).

2. I set the mount as you suggested, as if the telescope was pointing East, and synchronised the mount at that position.

3. I sent the mount somewhere in between the E position and cenit.

4. This picture shows that the mount seemed to do its job correctly, and the scope was sent approximately where it had been sent.

5. Then I selected an object closer to the meridian, in this approximately Aldebaran.

6. This picture shows that the mount flipped its side and went to Aldebaran but from the other side. The mount did a Meridian Flip before it had crossed the Meridian.

7. According Kstars, the scope was indeed pointing to Aldebaran.

8. I finally sent the mount to park, and this is how it ended.

I also sent the log that should show you what the mount did. The Experimental Driver seems to work but not always (it occasionally reminds me that my CP2 does not support "Rev V"), but it produces similar results.

Thanks for your help,

Josep
4 years 1 week ago #50980

Time to create page: 0.884 seconds