INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Celestron driver update

For driver crashes, please read the debug instruction #3 Debugging INDI and send a backtrace. Though I suspect it's just a PPA issue and not the driver itself.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dan Holler
8 years 11 months ago #3976

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 10

Replied by Dan Holler on topic Celestron driver update

I will add to this, since its applicable to all remote mount operations. A failure in power or communications can always occur. In order for such a system to remain remotely controlled, the user then, must be able to manually slew the mount back to an exact known position. (After power is restored of course)

In order to accomplish this, a webcam is utilized to see the mount moves to that position. In my case, I like looking down into the telescope with a wall mounted camera. CATs work wonderfully in this regard because aligning the reflection of the camera directly over the secondary mirror shadow can be done. However, a similar accuracy could easily be accomplished by shining a telescope mounted laser pointer onto a position on a wall, and viewing that spot with a webcam.

In all cases, the mount will Park and restart from this known point. Visual checking always insures the mount is ready for slewing. Astrometry is used for any subsequent corrections.

Dan
8 years 11 months ago #3977

• Thank you received: 2
Jasem, started debugging and... it works! :ohmy: No crash... Only local connection crashes. Looks like KStars problem :unsure:

Dan, more questions, the news you brought is amazing! Once again - it is possible to command hand control or you fully bypass it (i.e. it remains in the same state asking for switch position, but allows to send commands to the mount through it)? I want to fully understand the possibilities! And one more question... XmTelRemote. Only one result on Google and it isn't much relevant :( Where is it possible to find more info about it? Does it replicate NexRemote app?
8 years 11 months ago #3978

• Thank you received: 0
I can confirm the same problem with the new release others have already noted.
8 years 11 months ago #3979
Attachments:

Delete ParkData.xml under ~/.indi and save parking data again after you use the driver.
8 years 11 months ago #4018

Xmtel was the product of John Kielkopf and one of the first INDI drivers for the Celestron GPS model telescopes. Its code and it are available at this web:
www.astro.louisville.edu/software/xmtel/index.html
It requires an operator at the site of the telescope. (alignment)

Xmtelremote was a derivative of it which uses the Celestron AUX command set as described by Andre Paquette. You can read about it here:
www.paquettefamily.ca/nexstar/NexStar_AUX_Commands_10.pdf

Xmtelremote was written by Giampiero Spezzano and never widely released, though, it is GNU licensed and freely available. I will provide it from my dropbox, simply drop me an email at astrodan 02 at gmail_ dot_ com.

Best wishes,
Dan
8 years 11 months ago #4021

Just as an update to this, Jasem has written new driver code for his own Celestron driver which is now using the AUX approach. Look for it in the next release of the code. Beta testing of it should continue this week, but, the preliminary operation looks pretty good.
8 years 11 months ago #4022

Actually, I rewrote the standard Celestron driver. The newer Celestron driver which uses AUX is being developed by Pawel Jochym.
8 years 11 months ago #4023

Thanks to both of you for all your efforts on this. Now, to the testing, I can not find the Celestron slewing speed selection on the newest version. Did it somehow get lost when Sync was removed. And, without Sync, how will the mount Sync if astrometry were to fail?

The present driver also will not function unless the user deletes any existing Park.xml from the .indi directory. KStars defaults to a parked mount, deleting it is the only way to unpark the mount.

Best wishes,
Dan
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Dan Holler.
8 years 11 months ago #4025

There was a regression with latest code regarding slew speed, fixed now. For sync, your firmware does not support sync, maybe with the newer celestron driver it will work.
8 years 11 months ago #4026

• Thank you received: 2
What do you mean under "your firmware does not support sync"?
8 years 11 months ago #4029

LOL, I can tell this will be a lively discussion, so, I will jump in early. The version number of the hand controller determines which commands it can support. The early versions of the controller, i.e. Version 1.6 or 2.2 do not have the same commands as later versions.

I'm personally trying to get the driver to support all of the hand controllers. In the long run, it will result in less confusion and questions.
The present day set of commands are found here:
www.celestron.com/c3/images/files/downlo..._nexstarcommprot.pdf

But you should look here for the versions and what they actually do for your particular setup:
www.nexstarsite.com/
8 years 11 months ago #4032

Time to create page: 0.723 seconds