INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Mount does not go in right direction it hates me

• Thank you received: 0
Northern hemisphere. In tx. Celestron avx. Had site info checked and hade it set up for its current park.

Went to go-to Vega for a quick test shot and plate solve and the mount decided to go this way. Tried to go 20 degrees bear Polaris and still wanted to point at the ground but this time decided to crash into itself

Time and site are correct

What am I missing?
3 years 9 months ago #55505
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 138
What we are missing is any meaningful information that could help us help you. We need more information and log files showing what the mount is being commanded to do might help.

You seem to be describing some sort of gross alignment error. What I'd do to start with is check that the mount will operate correctly using the HC to do the same things. There could be something incorrect in how you get the mount set up and aligned to start with. If a slew to an object using the HC works then you will have a better chance that EKOS will be able to control your mount.

If you are worried about the scope hitting your mount then take it off for your initial indoor tests. Take the counterweight shaft off as well so the mount isn't grossly out of balance.
3 years 9 months ago #55508

• Thank you received: 140
You haven’t even said if you polar aligned the scope properly first...? As if you just stuck on the ripped and fired up then that will be your issue....
3 years 9 months ago #55511

• Thank you received: 182

Did you set the mount to point to Polaris, counterweight down, purge the park position, then SET and SAVE the current park position?

If not, your encoders are likely set wrong and then Ekos will compute how to slew to Vega starting from the wrong coordinates. That's like trying to drive to a destination being told only distance, initial direction, and left and right turns, but then starting out in San Francisco while the instructions are for New York.
3 years 9 months ago #55518

• Thank you received: 0
Thank you! No I did not purge it. I did polar align it via polemaster and have it parked west pointing east with counterweights on bottom and scope on top. Hand controller worked fine as that's what I used for polar alignment

Where do I find the purge option and when do I purge?

Thank you I'll give that a go
3 years 9 months ago #55520

• Thank you received: 182
Indi Control Panel > Mount Tab > Site Management Tab

Set your mount to point to Polaris, counterweight down. Then purge and save the new settings. Also set the encoder positions to the current one.

In principle, you can park your mount in any position you want, but bear in mind that that has to be the position where it starts out from when slewing. Otherwise it will not know where to start.

The easiest way not to get confused is to park the mount always pointing to Polaris, with the counterweight down, as that is the position it has to be in anyway when you polar align. Other park positions only become important when you have a permanent setup where you have to park the mount and telescope at odd angle so the telescope is not being hit by the roof of the observatory.
3 years 9 months ago #55521

• Thank you received: 16
I have and AVX mount that I picked up 6 months ago. I spent a lot of time indoors using it hooked up to a Pi with Astroberry just trying to learn how to use the different features. Ultimately all that playing combined with 'fake' indoor alignments seemed to add up to a totally confused mount model and messed up mount configuration. I was seeing similar crazy park positions and gotos in the wrong or seemingly random directions.

I ended up re-flashing the mount (there was an upgrade available) but reset to factory should do the same. I then went through the AVX setup again making sure I had site location, time and timezone set as close as possible then made sure the real time clock was on in settings. Then I set the mount up and used Quick Align on the AVX with the mount set with the index lines aligned. After that I connected to INDI, purged all current settings and started over.

I have had no issues since. Now I set the scope up, use Quick Align on the mount, connect with Astroberry, use the polar alignment tool, then I pick a couple of stars to goto, plate solve and sync the mount for alignment in the mount's model. After that it seems to work fine.
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Tunafish. Reason: "simple align" should be "Quick Align"
3 years 9 months ago #55522

• Thank you received: 9

Did you do a factory reset via the hand controller? Menu -> Utilities -> Factory Settings

Check your settings for Northern EQ: Menu -> Tracking -> Mode -> EQ North.

Also you can try updating the firmware using the Celestron Firmware Manager.

www.celestron.com/pages/drivers-and-software

Cheers
Jim
Celestron CGX, QSI683 Astrodon Gen 2 E series LRGB, Ha, OIII, ES102CF, ZWO-ASI178MC, 60mm guide scope, Pegasus Focus Cube 2, Feather Touch Focuser.
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Jim S..
3 years 9 months ago #55553

Time to create page: 0.898 seconds