INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Astro-Physics Experimental driver not working properly in KStars 3.4.2

• Thank you received: 0
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the help. I am running astroberry distro on a pi 3B+
When connecting to the indinightly repository I get the following error message:

astroberry@astroberry01:~ $ sudo apt-add-repository ppa:mutlaqja/indinightly
[sudo] password for astroberry: 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/apt-add-repository", line 95, in <module>
    sp = SoftwareProperties(options=options)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/softwareproperties/SoftwareProperties.py", line 109, in __init__
    self.reload_sourceslist()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/softwareproperties/SoftwareProperties.py", line 599, in reload_sourceslist
    self.distro.get_sources(self.sourceslist)    
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/aptsources/distro.py", line 93, in get_sources
    (self.id, self.codename))
aptsources.distro.NoDistroTemplateException: Error: could not find a distribution template for Raspbian/buster

After executing the other two lines and restarting the pi for good measures I notice that Kstars is still in version 3.5.3 stable.

Any suggestions?

Marcel

2 years 9 months ago #72741

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 41
Hi Marcel,

This post may contain the info you need although I think that Astroberry is more of a problem to update.
www.indilib.org/forum/astroberry/7371-ho...ry-rpi4.html?start=0

My system is KStars on Ubuntu Mate 20.10.
I am unfamiliar with Astroberry so can't help there. A quick look through the above post suggests it should be helpful.

Jerry Black (thanks Jerry!) has developed a script that automates setting up KStars and would be worth a look. Here is the link.
indilib.org/forum/ekos/9748-build-kstars...-from-git.html#71737

Cheers,

Mike
2 years 9 months ago #72745

Hi MIke,

I was finally able to test the new driver under KStars 3.5.4 Beta.
While executing your instructions I noticed the following deviating behavior (log attached):
Start- Up light in the indi driver panel did not go to red
After pressing cold start, the mount is directly visible in the planetarium
Unpark from the Ekos GUI does not work
I then get multiple error messages.

Note that my AP control box is on version L (old).

BR

Marcel 

File Attachment:

File Name: log_22-26-58.txt
File Size:502 KB
2 years 8 months ago #72821
Attachments:

Hi Marcel,
There are a lot of issues currently with the latest nightly build in regard to other drivers (see the forum). Jasem is in the process of making the appropriate changes. Be aware that you may get problems related to this issue. Watch the forum and do a further upgrade of the nightly version once Jasem has uploaded the changes.

Now the likely issue is related to your version L firmware. See this link to info about the AP drivers
www.indilib.org/telescopes/astrophysics.html
This suggests that the AP experimental driver will only work for versions V and above (Mine is V13). Unless you upgrade your firmware to the V version you should really be using one of the other versions.
I think that other versions do work but they don't have full functionality (I am not familiar with the changes but I think they relate to parking behaviour etc).
Updating the firmware is relatively simple
Here is the link to the AP site info.
www.astro-physics.info/index.htm?tech_su...ad_update/controlbox
Maybe one of the users of the GTOCTP3 could advise?

Mike
2 years 8 months ago #72827

Hi MIke,

Some time has passed..

I replaced the handset batteries and upgraded the firmware of the CP3 box to V2. 

I have now more predictable behavior from the mount w.r.t. connecting, (un)parking, meridian flip, and slewing to the right spot.

However, I still experience two problems:
- The mount does not automatically start tracking after slewing to an object from park position. When slewing from a tracking situation, tracking commences for the new object.-
The mount seems to lose connection to the raspberry pi after some time with the following error message "ERROR    558.837511 sec    : check_lx200ap_status: wrote, but nothing received.ERROR    563.841507 sec    : Reading sidereal time failed 1769300527"
- Upon this error message, the mount stops tracking and does not respond to other comments.

I attach the log files for your reference.
Hope somebody can help.

BR | Marcel   

File Attachment:

File Name: log_22-02-59.txt
File Size:307 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: indi_lx200...0_11.log
File Size:20 KB
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Marcel Noordman.
2 years 6 months ago #75951
Attachments:

Hi Marcel,

Glad to hear that upgrading the firmware improved the mount behaviour. The last time I tested the mount I noticed that the start up behaviour had changed likely related to changes in the build. It not longer seemed necessary to start the profile with mount switched off. However, I had intended to do another test today so will update the start up instruction and see if I can replicate the problem you are having. I'll have a look at your log and get back to you.

Mike
2 years 6 months ago #75952

Hi Marcel,

Ok so I am currently running KStars/EKOS/indi build 3.5.5 Stable 2021-09-15T22:15:10Z this is on a raspberry Pi4 8GB running Ubuntu Mate 21.04.1 (Hirsuite Hippo) all updated and upgraded today and I am testing indoors as the weather is changeable.

A good change to the mount behaviour is that you can now power all of your equipment up and connect it all at the same time, mount included. You do not have to wait till it fails to connect anymore :). The mount GUI now pops up fully loaded and connected in the indi gui mount tab.
Ensure that your "unpark from" and "park to" fields are correct for your current mount position (I use park 3 for both). Ensure that KStars is taking your location from whatever source you have decided as the mount will not unpark until this is known. The source of this info can be set in the indi options tab in the KStars settings menu.
Click cold start (the gui popups will warn you about setting parking and about location if this not set.)
Next click "unpark". The mount icon will then appear on the KStars planetarium.

It is normal AP experimental driver behaviour for the mount to stay in the "not tracking" state until you click "track". If you do not do this you can still slew to an object but unless you have started tracking before the slew you will need to start tracking after the slew. Again this is expected behaviour from the driver. Tracking does not occur automatically after a slew unless you have started tracking after unparking in which case tracking will continue until stopped or turned off. I hope that made sense :).

I have not been able to reproduce the odd loss of mount connection you are experiencing but I will leave the mount tracking for a couple of hours to be sure. All I can think of to explain your mount disconnection is that it is important to use a powered hub for all connections. I have mount, scope camera and guide camera, GPS, flip flat and motor focuser all plugged into a USB 3 powered hub and this then connects to the Raspberry Pi4 USB3 port. I have nothing else connected to the Pi so all that gear connects through the single USB3. If your mount is connected direct to USB on your computer I would use a powered hub and see if that helps.

I will have another look through your logs but I could not see anything obvious on a first scan through.

Regards

Mike
2 years 6 months ago #75959

So the mount does not normally engages tracking once slew is done?? If this is the case, then it's probably a good idea to explicitly setTrackEnabled(true) once slew is done.
2 years 6 months ago #75967

Note that the slew-to-tracking issue only appears when slewing from a situation where the mount is not tracking previously (e.g. parking).
When slewing when already tracking (e.g. one object to the next), the mount does initiate tracking after the slew.
This is inconvenient when e.g. running an automated schedule from park position.

With regards to the connectivity issue I described in my last post: I was not able to reproduce it today.
I tested with 3.5.6 beta and 3.5.2 stable on a Pi3 with 4GB.

One more thing (not sure if it poses a problem): in some cases I get the status "slew after meridian" for my meridian flip.

So all-in-all I think I am now ready to roll with my AP1200 ;-)
Next step is to test pointing accuracy & guiding outside.

BR

Marcel
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Marcel Noordman.
2 years 6 months ago #75993

• Thank you received: 559
I've created an experimental version of what I hope is an improved Indi AstroPhysics driver for CP3 and CP4. I've tested it with my own mount for the past 2 weeks and it is performing well, and I'd like to get several users to test this as well before I release it.  

If you're interested in testing, please contact me and let me know your email address. You can do this by direct messaging me on this forum, or just reply to this thread and I'll direct message you. 

I already have @Midwest Astronomer, @Wotalota, @Spartacus on my list, and would love a few more.
Hy
2 years 1 month ago #80383

Is there any update re: this new driver for CP3 / CP4?
1 year 9 months ago #83520

• Thank you received: 559
Yes, the driver is included in the most recent INDI releases and can be selected in the current KStars release as "AstroPhysics V2".
Based on the feedback I've gotten, and on my personal use, it seems to be working well. I've updated the doc for it in www.indilib.org/devices/telescopes/astro...astrophysics-v2.html

This is the only INDI A-P driver that currently has support. I'm happy to help fix issues with it, but the older drivers are not being updated.

(FYI Henry, I did try to contact you via private message on this site on Feb 2 about joining the testing email list for this new driver. Sorry if we didn't connect, I know that the private messaging can be problematic, but unfortunately I didn't know your email address.)

Hy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Henry Kwok
1 year 9 months ago #83522

Time to create page: 1.303 seconds