INDI Library v1.8.5 Released (19 Apr 2020)

April 2020 release of INDI Library v1.8.5 introduces new drivers while providing fixes and improvements to existing devices and core framework.

Software Bisque Paramount MX+

1 month 3 days ago 1 month 3 days ago by wadeprunty. Reason: Typo
wadeprunty
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder
More
Topic Author
Software Bisque Paramount MX+ #56619
I just recently bought a Paramount MX+ and I want to use it with Ekos. There was a page from the INDI website that had instructions on setting it up, but it seems to have been taken down. Does anyone know where I can find any other tips for using the MX+ with Ekos? I've made a connection to the mount in Ekos via the TheSkyX server function, but I have not been able to successfully complete the alignment process, nor guide. Before I get to the point where I start uploading logs I want to make sure I have everything configured correctly.

Webpage That No Longer Works:
www.indilib.org/devices/mounts/bisque-paramount.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 month 3 days ago
airscott
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder
More
Software Bisque Paramount MX+ #56623
I use Ekos with my Paramount MyT via TheSkyX just as you describe. You've done the hardest part (connecting INDI/Ekos to the TCP server in TheSkyX).

What I do is to get everything set up in TheSkyX first (TPoint model, Periodic Error Correction, etc). Then connect from Ekos. I have been guiding in Ekos through PHD2. The alignment works extremely well because of the underlying TPoint model in TheSkyX -- that is, Ekos tells the mount to point someplace and it hits it pretty much dead on the first try.

If you haven't used Ekos before, there's a significant learning curve, but once the mount is connected it's the same as any other mount.

1 month 3 days ago
airscott
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder
More
Software Bisque Paramount MX+ #56624
You'll want to move through the tabs in Ekos, setting up camera, focuser, guider, and plate solving.

Once you have your MX+ connected try just right-clicking the planetarium screen, then select slew. Once it's done moving the mount, take a short exposure in the imaging tab to make sure it works.

You might want to set up a local solver like astrometry.net or ASTAP because Ekos won't have access to the "native" plate solving from TheSkyX. On the other hand if you have a good TPoint model set up in TheSkyX your pointing wish be so good you might not need solving at all. That just has to be done once unless you tear down your equipment each night.

If you have specific questions, I'd be happy to help.

1 month 3 days ago
Spartacus
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder
More
Software Bisque Paramount MX+ #56626
Hi,

Try this webpage as it seems to work on my laptop.

indilib.org/individuals/devices/telescop...isque-paramount.html

It contains all the info that you should require.
Mike

3 weeks 1 day ago
xthestreams
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder
More
Software Bisque Paramount MX+ #57089
Hey Wade - welcome to team Red! the link looks like it's back up.
1). alignment and T-Point modelling is critical - you cannot (at least to my knowledge) use EKOS for further improving alignment/gotos of the mount.
2). Synch does NOT work as intended and in fact may cause more problems than it solves - so you will need to update the Astrometry to use Differential Slewing.

Otherwise ping me and I'm happy to help

GSO Ritchey Chretien 12" Truss | SkyWatcher ED72 | Celestron C14
ZWO ASI 183MC Pro | ZWO ASI290MM | ZWO ASI224MC all-sky | ZEO EFW | ZWO OAG
Moonlite V2 CSL | DeepSkyDad AF3
EQ8-R | Paramount ME (needs some loving)
Nexdome | SQM LE | Ultimate Power Box V2 | Spike-a-Flat
Angry missus
The following user(s) said Thank You wadeprunty

3 weeks 1 day ago 3 weeks 1 day ago by wadeprunty. Reason: Missing quote.
wadeprunty
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder
More
Topic Author
Software Bisque Paramount MX+ #57091

xthestreams wrote: Hey Wade - welcome to team Red! the link looks like it's back up.
1). alignment and T-Point modelling is critical - you cannot (at least to my knowledge) use EKOS for further improving alignment/gotos of the mount.
2). Synch does NOT work as intended and in fact may cause more problems than it solves - so you will need to update the Astrometry to use Differential Slewing.

Otherwise ping me and I'm happy to help

Thanks for the info!

So, if I select differential slewing astrometry will solve successfully, but Ekos won't then slew to updated coordinates, or start the capture image over again to confirm it is within the arcsecond margin I've set. Is this normal behavior for differential slewing? If so, I cannot automate my session if I can't center the target properly.

3 weeks 1 day ago
xthestreams
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder
More
Software Bisque Paramount MX+ #57093
This is where it gets interesting. IIUC - tt should still slew to target, but won't attempt to update the model inside your T-Point.

What that relies on/benefits from is you having done the hard yards with the T-Point setup and a cracking good PA.

GSO Ritchey Chretien 12" Truss | SkyWatcher ED72 | Celestron C14
ZWO ASI 183MC Pro | ZWO ASI290MM | ZWO ASI224MC all-sky | ZEO EFW | ZWO OAG
Moonlite V2 CSL | DeepSkyDad AF3
EQ8-R | Paramount ME (needs some loving)
Nexdome | SQM LE | Ultimate Power Box V2 | Spike-a-Flat
Angry missus

3 weeks 1 day ago
wadeprunty
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder
More
Topic Author
Software Bisque Paramount MX+ #57095

xthestreams wrote: This is where it gets interesting. IIUC - tt should still slew to target, but won't attempt to update the model inside your T-Point.

What that relies on/benefits from is you having done the hard yards with the T-Point setup and a cracking good PA.

I totally get that. And that is what I want to happen. TPoint creates such a great pointing model, I would not want Ekos to mess with that at all. My issue is that the Ekos Align tool is not completing a full "closed loop slew." I'll type out how it happens below.

1. I use the mount control panel to slew to a target.
2. In the Align tab I select Capture & Solve with Slew to Target selected. Within the solver options I have "Use differential slewing instead of syncing" selected.
3. An image is taken and Astrometry solves it right away. Now it shows the arc second error in the Solution Coordinates Error box.
4. Ekos reports the mount is slewing to the solved coordinates.
5. When slewing completes Ekos reports that alignment has been completed within my accuracy requirement and ends its alignment process.

Normally the alignment behavior, when not using differential slewing, would be that after step 4 a new image would be taken and solved to confirm that the previous solve and slew did bring it within my accuracy settings. But this is not happening, and actually the mount seems not to have slewed like step 5 reported. It never continues to confirm the alignment.

Is what I'm reporting the expected behavior of the alignment tool when using differential slewing? If Ekos doesn't truly complete the "closed loop slew" then I'll never be able to use it with the Paramount.

If this is not the expected behavior then I will run this process again and upload the logs from it.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me with this! I REALLY REALLY love Ekos and want to continue to be able to utilize it for my acquisition sessions.
The following user(s) said Thank You TallFurryMan

3 weeks 1 day ago
TallFurryMan
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
Software Bisque Paramount MX+ #57098
This is expected with differential slewing. Your mount model needs to be precise enough that the mount requires one small adjustment to be on target.

-Eric

HEQ5-Pro - Atik 314E - Orion ED80T - DMK21 on Orion 50mm
DIY 3D-printed Moonlite and FWheel RGB/LPR
KStars and indiserver on two Atom 1.6GHz 1GB RAM Linux, VPN remote access
The following user(s) said Thank You xthestreams

Time to create page: 0.616 seconds