INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Parking the iOptron GEM45

• Thank you received: 420
This topic contains a solution for parking issues with the iOptron CEM25P. Unfortunately this doesn't work with the GEM45 mount. It is possible to set both a zero and a park position in the mount HC. When I first set the zero position and then use the hand controller to go to the zero position, that works. When I set the park position to the zero position (i.e. current position when first having gone to the zero position), slew to an object and then park the mount, the mount parks to the zero position, which is exactly what I want.

Doing this with Ekos, however, does not work. No matter if I clear all GEM45 park data, set it to the current (i.e. zero) position or something else, the mount always seems to move to RA = 0h. Once I have done that, parking from the HC doesn't work anymore either. FYI I have connected the mount directly to the RPi4 running Ekos without the HC in between.

Luckily there is a Go To Home button in the INDI Control Panel and that does work. It would be nice to have that button in the mount tab.

Still, would anyone know what to do to make parking from Ekos with the GEM45 work?

Thanks, Wouter
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Wouter van Reeven.
3 years 6 months ago #61012

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 6 months ago #61079

• Thank you received: 56
Did you ever get a response/solution to this?

I am seeing exactly te same behaviour with my GEM45. I can use Indi to goto the home position but the Park does not end up in the park position I have set using the hand controller when I use Indi.

It has been a while since I did any Indi coding but I will pull the code and see if I can work out what is going on. It could be an error in the API and if thats the case we wont be able to do anything about it except report it to iOptron. I wish I had got my mount a bit earlier as I am just finishing 2 weeks vacation, would have made a nice vacation project.
3 years 2 months ago #66640

I never got a reply. There was this discussion about CEM120 and CEM70 but as far as I know that doesn't solve the issue with the GEM45.
3 years 2 months ago #66643

• Thank you received: 133
No real solution. I had issues with my CEM60, too, that were related to the singular RA position of the pole. I personally have stopped using 'Park' and just use the 'Goto Home' button in the INDI panel. I'm aware that is not possible if you use scheduler and full automation. It is however easily scriptable via indi_setprop.
3 years 2 months ago #66658

• Thank you received: 5
Hello,

I have the same issue with the iOptron V3 driver. Before i did my firmware update, i used to use the iEq driver and parking was working fine.

One way to get park to work with the V3 driver is to select a point, say just above polaris in Kstars, the say goto and set park.
This seems to set the park point, which you can then ask Kstars to park to afterwards.

However, i find a new issues with V3 driver, my mount seems to randomly want to go counterweight up ... which cause a really nasty crash in the gears.
So i am not parking at the moment anyway until i can solve for the weird behaviour.

Hope this helps.
Christopher | Sussex England | n2042.blogspot.com
iOptron GEM45 | Altair Mobile Pier | TSPhoton 154 @ F3.7
ASI 294MM Pro | ASI EFW | ASI EAF | ASI 120MM
Mini PC | Quad 4GB 64GB 5G | Juice USB Harness
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by christopher.
3 years 1 month ago #67841

• Thank you received: 56
I am using the latest V3 driver on my Gem45 with the latest firmware and the park works perfectly.
I use the handset to find home (which is my preferred park position) and then I set the park position using the handset to the current position. After that I can use the Park command in Indi to set the mount to the park position.
3 years 1 month ago #67845

Time to create page: 0.588 seconds