INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

EQMod : "Can not change rate while motor is running (direction differs)."

• Thank you received: 109
I may have finally resolved the timeouts last night. It entailed moving equipment to different USB ports. There was something strange about my combination of devices on a USB bus, so re-shuffling them made the error go away. When the timeout went away, so did the nasty guiding spikes. The (direction differs) seems to just be a warning that a large guiding change was requested in a reverse direction. I hope this is helpful for you both.

Jim
3 years 3 months ago #63922

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0
It could, be there is definitely something wrong with the driver/PHD2.

I bet you'll stumble across the warnings again doing a PHD2 star-cross test (even without actually shooting, just do it inside during daylight). The reason for it seems to be that a call to StopMotor is issued, but StopMotor does not wait for the motor to actually stop and returns immediately.

PHD2 then tries to reverse direction, which fails because the drivers still thinks (and it's probably right) that the motor is running (DERunning haven't been updated since the command was issued). That mess the star cross test every single time on the last part (returning to the original position on the DEC axis) and skips every step. So far I've seen this on two different mounts.

I'm not sure whether the problem is with the driver itself or commands issued by PHD2. I haven't been able to trace the call back in PHD2 code.

So to me, these are two different issues.
Your read errors can certainly be attributed to miscommunication as, in your case, maybe ReadMotorStatus was failling and so DERunning was not properly updated during guiding.
The star cross test on the other end is easily and consistently reproducible and pinpoint to either a driver issue or a misuse from PHD2.

Glad you've sorted it out though :D
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Bertrand Lemasle.
3 years 3 months ago #63927

• Thank you received: 1
Did you end up sorting the issue? I reckon it's the cable and comms issues with it. I'll see by connecting my hand controller usb instead of the eqdir cable

Another thing I notice is that the align point randomly moves then back to the target itself at times. Sometimes that causes it, other times not

Edit: Oops, I didn't read your latest post. My bad lol. I've personally tried shuffling the ports about but to no avail
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Matt Baker.
3 years 3 months ago #64600

• Thank you received: 109
github.com/indilib/indi-3rdparty/issues/358

A better analysis of the problem than I did. I may have had two problems, but the research here is certainly worth a read.

Jim

3 years 2 days ago #69297

• Thank you received: 0
Hi,

Thank you very much for the update and the investigation.

I somehow didn't get the notifications from Cloudy nights forums.

I gave up on the issue after that thread being dead (and the one on cloudy nights too) and was using ST4 guiding since then.

Thank you again !
3 years 4 hours ago #69380

• Thank you received: 1
I've just tested the latest nightly build after seeing the changes merged on GitHub and can confirm that the initial results are very promising.

I haven't done a lot of imaging recently due to having to throw away a lot of exposures due to the "backlash" issue. One of my problems was actually related to my PSU which I upgraded to 13.8v, and now that's fixed.

I was imaging a couple of nights ago on the latest stable update and that reported 6000ms of backlash, now with the fixed driver, I get 1500ms and the star cross test works but produces a lowercase t shape which I'm not sure about.

Matt

Last edit: 2 years 11 months ago by Matt Baker.
2 years 11 months ago #69943
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.766 seconds