INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Considering upgrading mount from CGEM to CEM70, how well is CEM70 supported?

• Thank you received: 0
I think the subject says it all, I am not happy with the way my CGEM is guiding with my EdgeHD 800 and thin OAG, so I am considering upgrading my mount.

Before I do so, however I wanted to make sure it is compatible with INDI for use by EKOS...

Thoughts?
Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Jason. Reason: Edited for grammar
3 years 4 months ago #63084

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 15
I went a different way, and am upgrading the drive train and control electronics. The largest part of tracking error on a CGEM is the weak plastic spur gear, and cheap motors/motor control. The mount is stout otherwise. So replacing the old spur gear drive with modern stepper motors, and a 3d printer motor control board running OnStep software.

Onstep website is located HERE
Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Brian Davis.
3 years 4 months ago #63159

• Thank you received: 0
That is awesome!

Unfortunately I know how bad I am at completing projects like that at this moment in my life. Although I did manage to get a custom 3d printed 2.5 in feather focuser powered by an arduino and 28BYJ-48 stepper motor to work perfectly... although I never finished designing a case for it... but it's on my 80 mm Stellarvue APO and it works great with EKOS!

I'd also prefer to do gut a Celestron AVX that I have, rather than the CGEM.

Did you manage to get it completely working? Is this a popular project with friendly support available?

Thanks!
3 years 4 months ago #63267

• Thank you received: 15
It works very well indeed, and my first tests with it have me slobbering at the improvements in guiding error. The old CGEM motor board and plastic spur gear could manage a 2.5 arcsec guide error RMS on a really good day. My initial tests with Onstep reduced that to around .75-1.0 arcsecs, and I haven't really tuned it yet, or connected the timing signal from the GPS to the oscillator on the Onstep board. I'm currently learning Fusion 360 and designing a case for it. Already printed the motor mounts for it, but had to back up and re-print them with a more temperature resistant plastic, which led to experimentation with annealing the plastic, etc.

Not sure about the CEM70 for Onstep, but the CGEM can be readily Onstepped with a remarkable improvement in accuracy and function. You can use mainboards that also support dew heater control, focuser control, and more. The whole rig can be customized in both software and hardware in a lot of ways, depending on your skill level.
3 years 4 months ago #63401

• Thank you received: 140
3 years 4 months ago #63402

Time to create page: 0.449 seconds