INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

New iOptron Go2Nova 8409 controller for CEM26 and GEM28 mounts

• Thank you received: 420
Hi,

iOptron have released two new mounts: the CEM26 and the GEM28. They come with the new Go2Nova 8409 hand controller. What effort would it take to make this work with INDI? Should iOptron be contacted and asked for the command set or is this usually done in a different way? I don't have the mount myself (yet!) but may consider buying it if support for it in INDI wouldn't be too difficult to implement.

Wouter
3 years 3 months ago #64406

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 2
I also owned a ioptron cem26 with the new hc. The last time i checked there’s no indi driver for the 8409, so it does not work w/ ekos, which is the reason why I haven’t been able to test it in the field. I checked with my seller but he is not familiar with ekos or indi, nor is he able to provide me with any information:( Maybe, just maybe, i will check the code and modify my own driver before the official release.
3 years 3 months ago #65040

• Thank you received: 27
According to this page on the ioptron website it uses the same Ascom driver as the CEM-120 and CEM-70: www.ioptron.com/Articles.asp?ID=325
(But the command language manual still only references the CEM120)
Probably same driver as the one for CEM120 CEM70 can be used with minor(?) changes.

Paul
3 years 3 months ago #65042

Cem120 should be using the v3 driver in ekos but that didn’t work. Because there isn’t any usb port on the mount body I used the HC, which could be the reason why it didn’t work. I haven’t used any mount from ioptron before, the last mount (which i still use) is the eq6r from skywatcher, no eqmod cable is required for that mount; i don’t have any eqmod cable (or that little serial-usb thingy, don’t know the proper name for this mount) for that reason.
3 years 3 months ago #65045

There is very little documentation on the iOptron site; Link to the manual seems wrong. Specs say there is wifi and usb(?) connection.
Did you get a manual with the mount? Wonder how you have to make the computer connection. (a serial-2-usb will only help if the mount has an RS232 connection, seems not present on a cem26 either)

Paul
3 years 3 months ago #65047

The mount didn’t come with a manual. I’m among the first group received the mount so it is possible that ioptron changed and decided to include one. The HC connects to the mount using a serial cable and has a usb type b port; mount comes with a type b to a cable, I’m assuming that what ioptron intended for users to use. But i don’t know, maybe it’s for updating the mount firmware, no manual for me.
3 years 3 months ago #65049

Hi,

without documentation it hard to tell. (On my CEM60 the port on the handcontroller is used for firmaware update, the one on the mount for controlling the scope. Never tried the one on the HC for controlling the mount) Since the CEM26 seems to have only an USB port on the HC and all specs I could find say PC connection through the USB2.0 cable, I suppose it is via the HC .... (guessing)
If it does not work many things could be wrong:

- Device (probably a serial2usb) not recognised by the OS (not supported in kernel yet, there is another thread on newer Skywatcher 6PRO on stellarmate with such a behaviour)
check witth DMESG what is reported when you connect the port

- If it creates a TTY device, the BAUDRATE might be wrong. Newer Ser2USB usually work at 115000)
- Indi does not recognize the mount (if looking at the driver it should the report Unknown as devive) CEM26 - GEM28 are not yet in the device list. (but might work)

- something else ....

Paul
3 years 3 months ago #65076

Just an update, in case anyone wondering. I join an official group and found a manual, but it is in Chinese and it has already been updated to v1.1, so the US version is lagging behind by two versions (yeah ioptron is a Chinese company so why not). Basically if you are using the commander software and ascom you just plug in to the HC usb port; so it is true that the indi driver needs to be updated. I also bought this edmod cable which should be delivered today, and it is mentioned in the manual that 1,2,3 stars alignment is stored in the HC and will not be used if connected directly to the mount (in red letters and explicitly stated cem26/gem28), implying that an edmod cable is probably going to work.
Sorry i just used the “quick reply” button, just in case you are still interested ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wouter van Reeven
3 years 2 months ago #65508

Confusing. EQmod and iOptron looks strange to me. Do you have some details/link to the cable you ordered?

Paul
3 years 2 months ago #65513

It is one of those RS 232 to usb cable with a FTDI chip like the one used for SW mounts. I don’t know if they really go by that name, but the seller labels it as “eqmod cable for cem25 cem120 and other”, I asked the seller and he said cem26 should be using the same thing, if not I can return it with shipping covered, so i just thought why not give it a try.
So maybe the ioptron version is also called edmod...unofficially? Im not sure but the seller lables it as eqmod. I’m also wondering, thought eqmod is for SW mounts. Well they are both RJ232 to usb; if a SW cable can also be used on an ioptron mount, i guess it’s okay to say it’s an eqmod
3 years 2 months ago #65517

Plug that cable in mount at your own risc.
A CEM 60 for example has same plugs (telephone jack style) for hand controller and computer connection. But these are different and iOptron warns never to plug anuthing else in de HC connector port on the mount than a HC. Nothing special with that cable, please don't call it EQMOD. EQMOD is a completer mount steering that talks to SynScan Motor controller boards, nothing else. iOptron uses a completely different protocol.

I still woule like to see the result of a dmesg or lsub command after you plug that USB cable that came with the mount into your Linux box. (connected to the HC and mount powered of course) Thta will give some clues/ (Is Ascom just connects via that cable to the mount HC then Indi can do that as well that way). But without knowing what logs says difficult to trace)

Paul
3 years 2 months ago #65529

Ok this is embarrassing. First the cable didn’t work, the connector is different. But I tried to modify my own driver and it worked. Then i thought why not test it again with the old driver, and it turns out the v3 driver IS working okay with this mount, the only thing i need to do is to change the baud rate to something else than the default value. I don’t know why it didn’t work before and I’m pretty sure i tested every baud rate and every driver because the same thing happened to me once when I was using the eq6r. It is an embarrassing moment but I’m happy it worked finally, on the other hand I did get to know the code structure... maybe it is because of the cable that comes with the mount, i can’t find it today so I used a cable that came with my filter wheel which I know is 100% working.
3 years 2 months ago #65537

Time to create page: 1.191 seconds