INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

CGX Mount park position , starting position and celestron wifi.

• Thank you received: 1
Hi I have Kstars / ekos setup with Celestron CGX equatorial mount connect via the Celestron wifi module.

It seems to connect fine and I am able to control the mount which is great.

The issue seems to be the initial staring position in kstars when it connects to the mount. I have it park in the switch position and Kstars shows the scope right at the horizon, when if I had it connected to hand controller it would show at just off Polaris for me (52.50 latitude).

Is there any suggestions?

Thanks
3 years 3 months ago #65110

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 120
Hey, I've got a CGX as well and don't have any issues. Which driver are you using? Some things to check, make sure your location and time are set correctly. Look for the "Align" button on the "Main Control" tab in the INDI control panel, and click it. This will send the mount to the switch position and let the hand controller know it is aligned.
3 years 3 months ago #65503

• Thank you received: 69

I've got a CGX connected via the usb connector on the hand controller with the CGX driver. My workflow has always been to do a Celestron 2 star alignment, followed by a Celestron Polar Alignment and then launch KStars. At that point I can (optionally right click on the planetarium display and find the telescope position and) find my target for imaging with plate solving. I've never found KStars polar alignment to agree or be as good at the Celestron Polar Alignment although undoubtedly this is my fault in that it's something I'm doing wrong. I also find that Phd2 works better for me than the built-in guiding. Almost always, the internal guider says there's a mount problem and won't let me guide. Phd2 works for me. I expect this too, is operator / configuration error.

Do you have any gems of wisdom to help?

Thanks
3 years 3 months ago #65506

• Thank you received: 120
If your workflow is working for you, I wouldn't want to mess with it. I've actually been working on a driver for the CGX that skips the hand controller altogether if you'd like to test it out. You just plug directly into the USB port on the CGX itself, and leave the hand controller disconnected.

github.com/rickbassham/indi-celestron-cgx

github.com/rickbassham/indi-celestron-cgx/releases

My workflow using this driver is to connect, click the "Align" button, use the polar alignment assistant, then click the "Align" button again to zero out the alignment, add a couple of sync points (just slew anywhere and solve & sync), then just start imaging. The mount model tool in the Alignment module works really well for adding the sync points. Just generate them and go.
3 years 3 months ago #65507

Time to create page: 0.365 seconds