INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Alt-Az Dobsonian on an equatorial platform?

• a Guest
  • a Guest's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I hope this is the right place to ask but I have a standard go-to alt-az Dobsonian telescope. I am in the process of purchasing an equatorial platform for it to sit on. I know that once it's on the platform the usual go-to cannot be used. I am wondering if there is something inside Ekos, or similar software, that can translate go-to signals to the Dob mount while it's sitting on the EQ platform. My goal would be to use the dob's go-to system strictly for finding objects and then letting the platform handle the tracking. I know that there exists hardware modifications that can be used to bring go-to functionality to dobs on an EQ platform but I was hoping that there may be a software alternative. I'm willing to add something like Sky Commander to the mount if I have no other option but I'd rather exhaust my search first. I don't know if anyone else has done something like this since this is such a small section of an already niche community.
3 years 2 months ago #65809

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Is this SkyWatcher/Orion? If yes, then you can perhaps get away with using EQMod Mount driver.
The following user(s) said Thank You: a Guest
3 years 2 months ago #65813

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Alt-Az Dobsonian on an equatorial platform?

Yes, it's an Orion XT12G.
3 years 2 months ago #65814

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

There's no major risk of hardware failure since the dob is alt-az and EQMod would be likely sending RA/DEC commands, is there? Your feedback is appreciated.
3 years 2 months ago #65816

You can use "SkyWatcher Alt-Az" Driver. I used it just fine with my 16" Orion SkyQuest.
3 years 2 months ago #65853

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

The telescope was on an equatorial platform as well? That's where my issue lies.
3 years 2 months ago #65855

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

I wonder if this would work. If I put the alt-az mount on the EQ platform and set it to its starting position, locked, could I then treat the alt-az mount as I normally would? After go-to alignment, I would go-to an object and then start the EQ platform to track. If I want to go-to a different object I would reset the platform to its starting position and perform the go-to like normal. I think this would work in theory but I don't have the platform yet to do any sort of testing. I also wonder if I could perform the same operations in Ekos, the only manual process would be to reset the platform to the start before moving to another object. It's not perfect but that would save me a lot of trouble and expenses.
3 years 2 months ago #65940

Time to create page: 1.415 seconds