INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

iOptron GEM45 (with built-in hub) - USB issue

• Thank you received: 56
Clutching at straws a bit now.

Could it be an older version of Raspbian, I found some messages indicating that some old kernels had issues.
You could try:
sudo apt update
sudo apt dist-upgrade
sudo apt clean

Some people have a similar issue with the ASIAir:
www.cloudynights.com/topic/748157-ioptro...ing-with-asiair-pro/

Have you updated the firmware in the mount?

If you have a hub try that too. Failing that connect the mount to the USB2 on your camera and then connect the camera to the RPi4 (so use the hub in your camera). From what I have read there have been some issues with the mounts USB (as you said maybe not really Universal!)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craig
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Rishi Garrod.
3 years 2 months ago #67226

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 26

Replied by Bart on topic iOptron GEM45 - Driver fails

SOLVED (Well, sort of...)

I use the hub on the ASI1600 and now it registers and responds to commands

I was already in the process of making a bluetooth adapter for the iOptron iPORT (it's just serial comms)

dmesg -w:
Warning: Spoiler!
3 years 2 months ago #67227

• Thank you received: 26

Replied by Bart on topic iOptron GEM45 - Driver fails

But what really works:

Is to just get rid of wires again.:cheer:
3 years 2 months ago #67229
Attachments:

Good to hear Bart. I use a powered hub for all my devices. I know this hobby is a money pit but I recently purchased a Pegasus UPB which provides power, USB 3/2 and dew heater control. I mount the RPi4 and UPB on a losmandy plate on top of the scope. Then I only have the power and connection to the mount hanging off the scope. I gave up on the wifi from the RPi4 so I have a wired connection (so another wire!) going to an old Apple Airport. That gives me a nice strong wifi. Got about 6 hours of M51 last night. Fairly happy but my stars are a little egg shaped, there is always something! I think something must be something a little loose in my image train.
3 years 2 months ago #67235

• Thank you received: 0
Follows! Waiting for my IOptron GEM45 next month. I had similar problems with my current ES IEXOS-100 PMC8. Had to reprogram FTDI USB as serial cable firmware due to different control line use between Windows and LINUX! Is it cabel dependent? I have since then swapped cable without need to reprogram. I'm not even sure it was the mount firmware or something in the FTDI cable. The program for doing this I found in the FTDI factory page. I remember I had to change it back to use Windows to update firmware in the mount.

Perhaps unrelated to your problem? I hope I do not get this problem when my mount arrives! If I do I will come back to this tread.

By the way, My curren setup which I want to continue is RPi at top, power up and USB3 to powered USB3 hub at tripod. Mount connected to USB3 hub. Since the built-in is USB2, I guess I'll need to tread a cable for the USB3 hub up through the mount head and that the existing 12V up to saddle is sufficient for all consumers up there? (it says in spec. 3A)
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Gustav Olav Lundby. Reason: Just some details.
3 years 2 months ago #67236
Attachments:

I think is generally advisable to use a powered USB hub which does seem to mitigate the issues.
3 years 2 months ago #67237

I got my GEM45(firmware 210105) last week, also the actually same USB error in my rpi4b as you. But GEM45 could work well with my another SoC(Khadas VIM3). It seems to rpi4B hardware compatibility( especially power issue), not due to indi driver.

Although GEM45 is able to connect to INDI with GEM45 driver and slew mount, it shows the following error and crashes unexpectedly:
[2021-02-12T15:52:55.357 CST INFO ][           org.kde.kstars.indi] - iOptron GEM45 :  "[ERROR] Serial read error: Timeout error. "

The ioptronv3 driver works well. May it be due to firmware issue?
3 years 2 months ago #67239

I run mine through the Pegasus UPB powered USB hub but have also have the "Serial Read error a few times". Restarting the driver solved it for me but it is a little concerning.
3 years 2 months ago #67244

• Thank you received: 420
We have been using a GEM45 in Raspberry Pi 4 for over half a year now with the mount directly plugged into the pi. No issues whatsoever! We were using Ubuntu Server 20.04 before and Ubuntu Mate 20.04 now. Both 64 bit.

Wouter
3 years 2 months ago #67245

Thats interesting. I did find some info about the Rpi4 requiring an upgrade to the bootloader.
I am using Raspbian but I don't see why that should make a difference.

A different topic. My iPolar is not correctly oriented. If I want to move the dot on the screen up/down I have to use the AZ knobs and for left/right the dec.
Something is 90 degrees off but i am not sure if it is software or they have mounted the iPolar incorrectly in the mount?
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Rishi Garrod.
3 years 2 months ago #67247

iOptron releases new GEM45 now. Previous GEM45 separates iPolar & USB control into two cable, no usb hub. New GEM45 only has one USB line, which contain iPloar, mount control(FDTI USB serial), USB2.0 hub. I guess it will be something different, especially in power manager. More, new firmware(210105) may also make different communication. We are using Ubuntu 20.04 (aarch64) in SoC Khadas VIM3.
3 years 2 months ago #67250

I have the new one, basically a GEM45G without the guider.
I will upgrade the firmware.
3 years 2 months ago #67252

Time to create page: 1.110 seconds