INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

UTC offset - not a mount problem?

• Thank you received: 4
Hi

I'm new to Kstars and have been fooling around with the user interface to learn it while not connected to any mount.   There seem to be a number of issues with reading time from mounts, but I'm not doing that.  I can't get Kstars to give correct Local Time.

The local time here in the UK is 17:51.  My computer Locale is set to UK.UK DST is UTC +1.    My computer time is autoset to show the DST corrected time.  

My Location in Kstars is (should be, see below) set to UTC +1.  DST rules does not have an entry for UK.   Kstars is showing LT as 18:51. ie computer time (which is already correct for UK DST) +1.

If I set UTC offset under my location as 0, then Kstars shows still shows LT as one hour ahead.  Same if I put the offset to -1.
Whenever I set local time to Now, Kstars shows computer time +1, whatever I have put in the Offset.   If I reopen the Location settings, the DST rules for EU have been applied. 

This is wrong, not only because the UK is no longer in the EU, but because the UK has always had different dates from the EU for implementing DST.  It wouldn't matter too much if the UTC offset was applied, but I can't set it.   AFAICS, Kstars is using location to set DST rules to overwrite actual UTC offset. 

I guess there must be a fix, but I can't see anything. 

I am hesitant to rely on the mount to correct this, but would a workaround be to set the mount to the correct time, or to one hour behind?

Best

R

2 years 9 months ago #71896

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 38
Create a copy of the location using the plus sign in the geographic settings.

Then you should be able to enter your data and set DST. It will be a manual DST setting, but at least you will only have to change it when you change DST in your location.
2 years 9 months ago #71906

• Thank you received: 4
Thanks for this solution.  I deleted my original location and created two new locations, one with GMT (=UTC) and one with GMT +1.  Now I can switch between them when required, and I don't use the DST wizard at all. 

So far this seems to be working.

Clear skies!

R
2 years 9 months ago #71925

Time to create page: 0.484 seconds