INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Re:Re:EQ6-R failed to connect to Odroid system (kstars 3.5.4, INDI 1.9.1)

• Thank you received: 19
Hi all,
I'm struggling with the following problem:
I want to set up a kstars system with an odroid N2. I installed Ubuntu 20.04.2 with kstars 3.5.4 and INDI 1.9.1. I can connect both my main camera (QHY268C) and guiding camera (ASI290 mini) succesfully. But when I try to connect my EQ6-R mount I get an error: 

I checked with lsusb, the mount is visible there:

I tried an "scan ports" in Ekos, but no success, always the same error. I also tried several USB ports  on the Odroid with no change. The mount is visible with lsusb, but not for Ekos :-(

What can I do to resolve this? I tried it some time ago with kstars 3.5.3 with the same problem... I hoped on kstars 3.5.4 and INDI 1.9.1

2 years 8 months ago #73375
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 301
Check the logs that appear in the system log when connecting the mount (command "dmesg"). You are probably missing the kernel module providing the serial port stack for the USB device. Depending on the cable, you will need either the pl2303 or the fdti module (probably the former in your case).

-Eric
2 years 8 months ago #73377

Hi Eric,
it seems you are right. The dmesg says "unsupported device"...

How do I install the pl2303? I searched in synaptic but nothing found with 2303...

Thank you.

Jürgen
2 years 8 months ago #73380

• Thank you received: 140
Are you connecting the mount using the mount USB port, or via the handset mount port, EQMOD,  if the later, then the baude rate is incorrect, and should be 9600, but it is correct for direct USB connection to Your SBC…
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by AstroNerd.
2 years 8 months ago #73381

I'm using the mount USB port.

With stellarmate/astroberry the whole setup works without problems.
2 years 8 months ago #73382

Apparently, from literature, you need to build the pl2303 driver from the kernel sources. There is information on how to do that on the odroid platform wiki. Basically, you download kernel sources for your current version along with build tools, you change the kernel config to include the pl2303 kernel module, you rebuild only the modules and let the kernel load the resulting binary on device connection.

There are other people here in the forum using O-Droids whom may help if you have issues.

Before you do that though, check that the detected device is indeed a pl2303-compatible hardware. This is visible in the dmesg excerpt you didn't attach.

-Eric
2 years 8 months ago #73383

Thank you for your support. i have to check this during the week, since I can not connect to my mount (it raining :-( ).
What I saw in the lib-folder of the odroid, there is a pl2303.ko, but modprobe is not possible. I fear, that this problem is too difficult for my linux knowledge ;-)

I also managed it to get the "make menu-config" work (remembering that some 20 years ago I compiled my first and last linux kernel...), but I dont find a driver like pl2303...

I'm lucky that my Rpi stellarmate still works. I thought to get with the odroid a somewhat faster system...
2 years 8 months ago #73406

I suggest you change the title of the thread for other people to come and help.

-Eric
2 years 8 months ago #73439

Time to create page: 1.051 seconds