INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

KStars star chart, almost no name of DSO and no comets

• Thank you received: 7
Hi,
I have the Astroberry latest version. It works very well now after all help from here.

But there is something I have little problem with. When searching for object to put on the target list it's difficult to find them. I can of course search for them. But if I want to see the label of the DSO I don't get the name of them until I zoom in very deep. And it had been nice if the Messier name had come up. I have looked for a setting to control how the name shall appear but can't find anything to control this.

There are small blue dots everywhere, but who knows which is wich witout zooming in.

I'm used with CdC where I can control the magnitude that shall be displayed on the map. The label of the DSO also appear without to zoom too much.

Also it's hard to have an overview of the comets on the sky.

I can search the comets and they come up. But if I want, say all comets stronger then mag 8, is there a way to do that ?

When I try to update the orbital data of comets I get an error message about asteroids.

/Lars
2 years 2 months ago #79138
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 5
I agree, zooming in to view some locations for general assessment is difficult while zoomed out. Asteroids though are harder to deal with. Recently I noticed that the planet kill approaching 1994 PC1 is not even in the database.
2 years 2 months ago #79377

When I try to update comets orbit data I get an error maessage about astroids, no idea why I get this.

/Lars
2 years 2 months ago #79429

• Thank you received: 165
JPL changed the APIs for retrieving the orbital elements sometime around 3.5.6 was released and fixes are in GIT, to be released with 3.5.7. More info in merge requests invent.kde.org/education/kstars/-/merge_requests/452 and invent.kde.org/education/kstars/-/merge_requests/468
2 years 2 months ago #79451

Hi Jarno (once again),

So if I undersand it correct, when I update Astroberry in a couple of months this problem will be solved, or ?

/Lars
2 years 2 months ago #79455

• Thank you received: 5
I don't get the error when I update. My Build is - 2021-11-15T03:35:27Z I just get 1994 PC1. I get a number of other 1994's though yet it falls under the magnitude limit. Maybe I need to download more elements.
2 years 2 months ago #79461

• Thank you received: 226
The Catalog settings you are looking for are found in the Configure KStars window. Attached are my own settings.
Changing the magnitude will show more or less. But also the option to show objects of unknown magnitude will show a lot more, albeit generally less interesting, objects. You can also choose which catalogs to display in the Manage Deep Sky Catalogs. Some catalogs such as OpenNGC and NGC IC cover a lot of the same. I chose to one use the slightly larger Open NGC catalog instead of both.
Settings for Comets and Asteroids is also found under Solar System.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Damian
2 years 2 months ago #79469
Attachments:

Wrong category. SkyCharts is for "Cartes Du Ciel", not KStars. Moving...
Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
2 years 2 months ago #79472

• Thank you received: 165
Yes, 3.5.7 should be out pretty soon.
2 years 2 months ago #79517

With the latest update in mars 2022 I got the updating of comet database to download without error message. I will try KStars catalog settings.

If I want to increase the number of object names it looks that it is the label density I shall change.

No settings for comets ?

/Lars
2 years 4 days ago #81692

Time to create page: 0.677 seconds