INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Kstars 3.5.3 Terrain Problem (SOLVED)

• Thank you received: 31
Today I upgraded to Kstars 3.5.3 and created a custom terrain which appeared to work beautifully - once working correctly, this will be an awesome addition! Unfortunately, I had to go back to Kstars 3.5.2 - without the horizon I created.  It's clear out and I'm running a session as I type this. I'm using a Skywatcher AZ-GTi mount in EQ mode, using the INDI EQ Mod driver. When telling the scope to go to Parked position (North pole) while using Kstars 3.5.3, the orientation is WAY too low - about 45 degrees too low. It pointed exactly North, but not at the pole. Using Kstars to tell the mount to slew to Polaris, instead of telling it to park, it would orient the scope so it was pointing straight up: counterweight bar horizontal with the OTA vertical. Nothing I tried in Kstars 3.5.3 solved this. So, I reinstalled Kstars 3.5.2 and instantly the problem was gone and my rig is working perfectly again. ??
Last edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Tom Bardenwerper.
2 years 9 months ago #72500

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 565
Tom, 

Thanks for reporting. Sorry, though, I don't quite understand what you're reporting. 

Are you saying that the Terrain feature is somehow causing the skymap to place the north star too low in the sky?
You could test this by unchecking "Show Terrain" in kstars settings, which should disable this feature, and see if things are corrected.
Since Terrain just overlays an image onto the skymap, I'd be surprised if it is doing what I think you're saying, but of course anything's possible.
Another possibility is that something else in 3.5.3 is causing the issue you're describing.

Also, please double check that your correct latitude is displayed in the Site Management tab inside the mount tab in the Indi Control Panel.

Please let us know if unchecking "Show Terrain" solves your issue.
Either way, please post a screen shot and a log.

Thanks
Hy

Last edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Hy Murveit.
2 years 9 months ago #72502
Attachments:

I edited my original post and made some clarifications, you may want to re-read it.  Time, latitude and longitude were the first things I checked - all are correct.  Clouds rolled in so I'm shut down now and won't be able to test as you asked.  I'm not convinced the terrain is causing the problem, but for sure, something in 3.5.3 is.  When I reverted back to 3.5.2 the problem was completely gone and my rig worked again, 100% perfectly.  Could the new terrain cause this?  I don' t know, but something in 3.5.3 is amiss.
Last edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Tom Bardenwerper.
2 years 9 months ago #72507

• Thank you received: 565
Sorry, don't know what going on, but here's one more shot in the dark.

There are times when my mount loses its park position, seems to lose its orientation in general. Often this correlates to a KStars/Ekos crash, and perhaps some file gets corrupted.
To repair that, I find that following the instructions on this page fixes things: stellarmate.com/support/faq/mounts.html?view=faq&faqid=33
Perhaps that's what happened to you. Perhaps when you re-installed 3.5.2, it somehow updated whatever file got corrupted?
If/when you retry 3.5.3, if you have the same issue, try the procedure on that link and see if it fixes things up.

Hy
2 years 9 months ago #72534

I think that's exactly what happened - the mount lost its orientation.  I've been testing it all day with both versions.  I purged all mount data from within Ekos and it appears to be working correctly now.  Weird, but I'm happy it's working - and WITH my terrain!

Thanks for your help!

Tom
2 years 9 months ago #72536

Time to create page: 0.807 seconds