INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

trouble connecting to 2 Stellarmates at once. (at dark sky site one more day, desperately need advice)

• Thank you received: 0
Anyone,
  Trying to run two Stellarmate devices (eg SM1 and SM2) on same Mac laptop (controlling 2 telescopes).  I can do this  at home with a router, and running two separate KStar sessions, but I currently do NOT have router.
Trying to set this up with direct ethernet cables from laptop to each SM device, but I cannot get both running at the same time.   When I establish ethernet connection to one of the devices, then I can no longer reach the other device.   Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 
  I assume I may need to change 192.168.100.1 address for one of the SM boxes, I'm not really sure, and maybe there is a easier way to do it.

thx
Glen
2 years 8 months ago #73468

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 102
On stock Raspbian, to change the IP address of the ethernet connection, you would right-click on the network icon at the top-right of the screen, and select "Wired and Wireless Network Settings", then it's easy to change the IP address of eth0.

On StellarMate, I think (but not sure) that they use a different network manager than Raspbian. I think StellarMate uses gnome network manager, so the button clicks/menu entries might be different, but the idea is the same.
2 years 8 months ago #73469

Kevin - are you saying I need to change IP address for the second Stellarmate? Or Gateway/router/DNS address ? (I tried doing that earlier, and putting gateway aor IP addresses in 'host' in Ekos profile, but it didn't work.) Maybe there are constraints on allowed addresses?
2 years 8 months ago #73470

• Thank you received: 102
Well, both SM devices can't have the same IP address. So you'd need to change one of them. Then in your Ekos profile, you'd change the host field to the new IP address.
2 years 8 months ago #73471

I agree, and I had tried it, but didn't work. Specifically, I tried (among other combinations) for mac inputs, these.
IP 192.168.100.20
subnet 255.255.255.0
Gateway(=router on mac) 192.168.100.10
DNS 192.168.100.10
for the 2nd SM ethernet input connection to mac, called 'LAN 2' by the computer.
And in Ekos profile used 192.168.100.20 (and also tried 192.168.100.10)
and it didn't work.

Any suggestion?
2 years 8 months ago #73472

• Thank you received: 20
My mac won't allow two networks at the same time. One or the other. This is in general - not specifically to Stellarmates.
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by David Allmon.
2 years 8 months ago #73499

David, I actually got direct ethernet connection to both stellarmates, running two KStar sessions, and using 'remote' mode in the profiles for each. It was working for one session, but I could not repeat it, unfortunately. But Jasem tells me it is doable. After failing to repeat the direct wired approach for my two scopes, I found I was able to successfully run one telescope with direct ethernet, and the 2nd scope wirelessly, by joining the network to the second SM hotspot.
2 years 8 months ago #73752

• Thank you received: 20
Now I'm curious. I have to try it. I have run wired and wireless to the same subnet, but it gives priority to wireless. At least on the newer Mac. I have an older Macbook Pro and a pair of Pi's to play with.
2 years 8 months ago #73753

Time to create page: 0.430 seconds