INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Stellarmate and 60 mega-pixel cameras ie. Sony A7R4 or ASI6200

• Thank you received: 7
Is anybody using Stellarmate OS on a RPI or Stellarmate Plus with 60 M-pixels cameras. I have been running Kstars on a Max and wanted to migrate to the RPI. I have a RPI4 with 8GB but it seems problematic running Astroberry. Running Kstars locally on the RPI I get a lot of failed exposures and "1D fits images are not supported in Kstars" messages when running sequences with my Sony A7R4. Running INDI on Astroberry and Kstars on Linux or on Mac with images stored on the Kstars machine takes about 30 seconds to transfer the image and if I don't  put a 30 second delay the there are failed exposures.

I am motivated to switch by 1) reduce the number of cables, 2) Avoid a problem where Kstars broke and I had to recover the Mac completely for a backup to fix it 3) Get some of the nice Stellarmate features like tablets control so as to avoid what happened last night when my MBP charger failed in the field which cut short my collections.

I would gladly make the switch if it would work as I also plan to get a ASI6200mc.

Thanks
Kurt
2 years 8 months ago #74303

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 18
I have a QHY600M (same chip as ASI6200) which is connected to an 8GB rPi4 running stellarmate. I have only just started with the new camera so have taken dark frames but not yet used it for full up acquisition. So far no issues.
2 years 8 months ago #74308

• Thank you received: 7
Thanks Thomas

Are you saving the files back to the iMac. I have tried several different ways with Kstars local/remote file saving and running on the the linux machine or on the RPI. In all these cases today the sequencer churches after the first frame or INDI crashes. I might try the nightly build.

Your 8TB SSD intrigues me. I have one but I have never been able to run it in a bus powered enclosure. It draws too much current and fails. I can only run it in a powered enclosure with Thunderbolt 3. Is it on your iMac or on the RPI?

Kurt
2 years 8 months ago #74314

• Thank you received: 18
I was running from my Mac using rPi as server and iMac as client however the files from the QHY600M as so big they do not transfer properly back to the Mac so I switched to running on the rPi via vnc and saving to the rPi ssd. This works fine. The file transfer problem is being worked and I think a fix has been implemented (see the thread about QHY 1x1 bin) but it hasn't yet propagated to the stable release. Once that is done it should be fine to run client server. Not sure of this was also an issue for other cameras using the same sensor.

It's actually a 1TB SSD (8GB memory rPi).  I use a powered usb hub (Sabrent smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TPMEOYM/r...04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) which provides the needed power for it to work with the rPi over USB3, considerably faster than microSD.
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by Thomas Mason.
2 years 8 months ago #74315

Time to create page: 0.428 seconds