INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

SOLVED: SM 1.6.0 - polar alignment DISABLED: FOV must be 10 arcmins and guider timeout

• Thank you received: 86
For me FOV issue was finally solved after I updated to one of the nightly builds.

After another update (November 2) I started to have KStars crash after the first PAA image taken - on internal solver attempt to solve.
ASTAP solver works fine though...
-- Max S
ZWO AM5. RST-135. AZ-GTI. HEQ5. iOptron SkyTracker.
TPO RC6. FRA400. Rokinon 135 and other lenses.
ZWO ASI2600MC. D5500 modified with UVIR clip-in filter.
ZWO ASI120MM Mini x 2. ZWO 30F4 guider. Orion 50mm guider.
ZWO EAF x 2.
2 years 4 months ago #77472

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 5
Polar Alignment is NOT solved with 1.6.1 stable release - at least not for me.

After several week of clouds today I gavethe latest stable version 1.6.1 (KStars 3.5.6) a try. Even the moon was shining I wanted to test the latest stable version after Polar Alignment in the stable release 3.5.5 failed for me with the message "FOV must be 19 arcmins",
Good news; The error message is gone and Polar Alignment starts with this version.
Bad news (really bad): The result of the PA and the resulting guidance is not usable - at least for my setup.

Here is what I did to hopfully help others to aoid such timely analysis
I updated via command from 3.5.5 stable to 3.5.6 stable. Confirmed today that all packages are up to date and started a test.
Started polar alignment with 3.5.6 stable - and have been surprisingly off in the first run. Though I have to set up my gear every time, I use marks on the floor and my offset is usally way below 1 degree. Now it almost reached 2 degrees. Corrected what I thought is the polar error down to 6'32"and started guiding.
Using the same settings that turned out fine with the 3.5.5 for the guiding now it was worse than ever. Calibration looked strange and usually my RMS" is below 1,  now around 8! So I stopped after the first image.

I decided to try to compare the exact same status of the hardware setup but now using a backup copyof the 3.5.6 Beta (Build 2021-10-06T08:29:02Z).
So no change on the orientation of the mount, just exchanging the SD card brought me from a display of the polar error of 6'32" (with the stable 3.5.6) to 2°5'45" (with the 3.5.6 Beta). Now which version to trust?

Result: Polar Alignment with the latest stable release does not seem to work for me (EQ6-R, EQ Mod Driver)
Visual problem: Using the 3.5.6 stable release I noticed that the setting to return to park (which is my default) in this release does something odd: It takes a picture, rotates by 30 degrees, returns to park position and then starts for the second rotation. Not sure if in the second rotation it does 30 again or 60. On the screen I see always the same image and in between images with startrails when the mount was moving. Not sure if this is the root cause for the wrong results but it just doesn't look right.
The 3.5.6 beta instead rotates in two steps as expected.
I then used the 3.5.6 beta (which for me caused a lot of connection losses with VNC) to redo Polar Alignment. Finally I managed to get it done when the connection was stable enough.
Then I booted again with the 3.5.6 stable (which was rock solid with regards to VNC) and voilá when guiding the same target as earlier that night the RMS" is below 1 again. So it is apparent that the calculated Polar Alignment of the 3.5.6 Beta was right.

That leaves we with a 3.5.6 stable release where I cannot rely on the polar alignment. Just after the problem I had with the 3.5. stable. Another problem I found has been the linear focuser in 3.5.6 stable that drove my motor focuser permamently in one direction claiming the RMS value becomes better though the number of stars dropped and the images apparently became worse. Stopped two attempts after 8 itearation and choose an alternative allgorithm.

I just planned to do a test today and it ended with several hours spend to find more questions than answers. Both the 3.5.5. and 3.5.6 stable releases broke things that I ticked to work fine for me before. Even I really love the integrated concept and the idea of Stellarnate to run all this on a Raspberry Pi two stable versions in a row that show massive problems make me think if this time for the system itself is well invested. The number of clear nights per year is very limited for me anyway.
And no, I did not collect log files but I took screen grabs if someone is interested.

I just downloaded an original image of the 1.6.1 to start fresh in case it has been the sequence of updates that caused these problems. But there is just little hope and clouds roll in...

A bit frustrated for tonight...

Kind regards,

Alex
2 years 4 months ago #77909

• Thank you received: 86
For me PAA works fine with my both setups running 3.5.6 Stable and Stellarmate 1.6.1
-- Max S
ZWO AM5. RST-135. AZ-GTI. HEQ5. iOptron SkyTracker.
TPO RC6. FRA400. Rokinon 135 and other lenses.
ZWO ASI2600MC. D5500 modified with UVIR clip-in filter.
ZWO ASI120MM Mini x 2. ZWO 30F4 guider. Orion 50mm guider.
ZWO EAF x 2.
2 years 4 months ago #77915

• Thank you received: 5
Hi Max,

Thanks for your feedback. I had the chance to continue testing today before the clouds rolled in again. Based on your feedback there must have been something odd with my installation or setup.

I could recreate the problems with a freshly flashed 3.5.6 stable (from the Stellarmate repository) BUT I have imported my settings file to not have to start from scratch.

When testing I noticed that while PAA was running the mount triggered a Meridian Flip. That seem to be the symptom of a problem.

Sountermeasure: When I deactivated Meridian Flip in the mount tab (I use the EQMod for an EQ 6R) and run PAA again, the crazy movements stopped and I got a result that was close to reality. Interestingly PAA then worked out even when I re-activated the Merdian flip in the mount tab. Even more interestingly without moving the mount mechanically the result was different at any time (and compared to a backup running 3.5.2). Clouds were stopping me though when I was about to check if I could re-create the PAA results by setting of the Meridian Flip tick box..

I will open a new topic specific for this as this might be of relevance to optimize the code.

Kind regards,

Alex
2 years 4 months ago #78096

Time to create page: 0.408 seconds