INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

What FPS is expected with SM / Pi 4 / ZWO ?

• Thank you received: 9
I just purchased a ZWO ASI 178MC to go with the ZenithStar 61 and Raspberry Pi 4. One of the reasons I went with the USB 3.0 ZWO was the very slow frame transfer rate from my Canon 600D when polar aligning etc. The 178 is supposed to run at 30-60 fps according to the specs.

Testing it on Stellarmate with Video preview or Looping shots I get from 0.1 - sometime 5 fps but mostly just above 1.2.   Is that expected ? Granted the time to download an image from the camera has dropped from 10s for the Canon to 1.5s for the 178.

I'm using a Pi4 and its blue USB 3.0 socket and the supplied USB 3.0 cable from ZWO.

I thought at first it may be the write speed of the SDCard (Class 10 but who knows) so I switched to running SM from a SSD without any improvement.

Just wanted to ask people who are already running this sort of setup with SM.

Thanks
2 years 6 months ago #76164

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 109
Yes RPi have weak CPU so that 5FPS is within expectations. With my ASI1600 I get around 2FPS without writing it to card. I wrote myself barebone program that downloaded frames from camera as fast it was possible. I could get up to 5FPS or 170MB/s data rate while normal PC could go up to 400MB/s. That was just downloading to RAM and nothing more.
2 years 6 months ago #76168

• Thank you received: 9
Thanks Nou.

Saves me searching for a problem that isn't there.
2 years 6 months ago #76242

Time to create page: 0.399 seconds