INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Image capture is failing

• Thank you received: 1
This evening I attempted to do some image capturing and the capture is failing no matter what I've tried.

Perhaps the initial issue was that I didn't have my auto ethernet connection hooked to power.

I thought that this would take care of the issue but it still failed.

Every part of my setup is the same as what I've successfully used.  I am getting no connection warnings with my setup.  The INDI Control Panel shows no issues.

Just in case it might break something free I checked to see if there were more updates available; seeing that there was 1 I installed the available update.

Besides actually getting a warning message I am still getting a fail at the download.

My USB flash drive is installed in the same USB port.  I can read the drive itself.  The path points to the media drive.

I'm at wits end, any ideas?

2 years 5 months ago #76384
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 559

Replied by Hy Murveit on topic Image capture is failing

Paul,

I see you must be running the latest code--that pop-up was put in recently.
It means that Ekos can't save the file that was captured. It tried to write but failed.
Before the popup, Ekos would just hang in the "downloading" phase, not good, but now at least it lets you know.

So, why can't it write the file?
Is it possible that /media/stellarmate doesn't exist, or /media/stellarmate/Picture (e.g. should it be Pictures with an s?).
Is your drive full? It tries to create directories, but KStars often doesn't have permission to create high-level directories.
In a terminal you can make sure the exact directory names exist and the permissions are good with the ls command.
You can also experiment by changing the destination to a directory you know you can write.

Those are the kind of things to check.
Hy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Imm
2 years 5 months ago #76389

Replied by Paul Imm on topic Image capture is failing

Hello Hy,

Thank you for suggesting some things to check for.

I am seeing that images can be saved to the pi but can't save to the media disk.

Everything else doesn't show any issue in what I see. The folder's seem to be in order as far as not being filled. The destination shows up correct through digging for the Media folder in stellarmate, the Picture folder also shows up properly in the pi's file explored and this worked fine prior to this week.

I likely will try formatting my media disk, to see if there might have been some corruption; otherwise I'm really perplexed.

I will update here if the formatting helps.

If there is any other setting that might change itself to cause this I'd be all ears.
2 years 5 months ago #76405

I think the main thing you should check is if you can write a file to that directory, by other means (i.e. not using KStars). For instance, copying some file there. Perhaps it is mounted read-only? That's a thing I've seen over the years, e.g. something odd happened when the system was mounting the disk.
2 years 5 months ago #76406

Hy,

That was a good idea to try, but I found that on my MacBook at least I can write on the disk.

I'll see what happens after formatting.

Paul
2 years 5 months ago #76407

• Thank you received: 160

Replied by Alfred on topic Image capture is failing

The media disk could be mounted "read/write" by the Macbook but "read-only" by the Pi so you have to check write permissions on the Pi directly.

Try something like

cp  ~/some-picture.fits /media/stellarmate/Picture/Light/

(beware upper/lower case is important) and see what happens.
2 years 5 months ago #76419

Alfred, I tried your suggested string and the copy didn't work.

Yesterday I erased the data on the disk so I didn't have a Light folder to match with the string.  I was able to add a new folder called Light.

After that I reran the string and it still failed to complete the action.

So I can manually make a folder but the pi doesn't appear able to copy over a file.

Is there a way to turn off and on the Read only?
2 years 5 months ago #76425

That is often a hardware issue. It can be something as simple as it wasn't plugged in well, and replugging it works.
Pulling it out of the Pi and plugging in to the Mac tests the hardware, I guess, but you really want to do these "can I write" tests on the Pi itself.
2 years 5 months ago #76435

Paul,

you wrote: "After that I reran the string and it still failed to complete the action."

What error message was displayed?

What's the output of

ls -la /media/stellarmate/Picture

?
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Alfred.
2 years 5 months ago #76449

Alfred, this shows up as a permissions issue with the initial string.

I see the same result when I try the ls -la /media/stellarmate/Picture string.

If this is a permissions issue it does look like there aren't any write privileges for some reason.  Am I seeing this correctly?

How would you get back the write privileges?

2 years 5 months ago #76464
Attachments:

Yesterday evening I reached out to Stellarmate support and Jasem provided the details for restoring drive write status.

In my case it would be sudo chown -R stellarmate:stellarmate /media/stellarmate/Picture

I tried this out and it actually restored my ability to take images on my flash drive!

Jasem did say that by default the permissions should allow write on the flash drive.  The remaining question in which I might never know is why my drive lost it's write privilege from the Stellarmate OS on the pi device.

Hopefully this will help others in a similar predicament.  I really appreciate the help in being able to identify and solve the issue.
2 years 5 months ago #76476

Paul,

good to hear your system is up and running! I just hope the permissions stick when the drive is removed and then mounted again!
2 years 5 months ago #76484

Time to create page: 0.997 seconds