INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Polar Alignment:: Different results from different Stellarmate versions

• Thank you received: 5
When trying to solve a problem with polar alignment I systematically switched between two stable versions of Stellarmate in the same night. As a side effect I noticed that with no changes in the scope orientation I got different results for the remaining PA error. I could recreate it by different runs that the versions came to the same results but the results of the versions were different.Using 3.5.2 stable the error was displayed to be 0'22"
Using 3.5.6 stable without touching the mount the residual alignment error has been 3'31'The difference of about 3 arcminutes could be recreated in several runs of the same setup. (EQMod diver for the mount)Did the algorithm to calculate the alignment error change? Is it an update of the mount's driver?Anyone has another measurement option at hand (and clear skies grrr….) to check what version of Stellarmate is closer to the truth? Hopefully the latest release is the one that is closer, but it would be good to know.
2 years 2 months ago #79235

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 86
I don't have the answer but this was reported before...
-- Max S
ZWO AM5. RST-135. AZ-GTI. HEQ5. iOptron SkyTracker.
TPO RC6. FRA400. Rokinon 135 and other lenses.
ZWO ASI2600MC. D5500 modified with UVIR clip-in filter.
ZWO ASI120MM Mini x 2. ZWO 30F4 guider. Orion 50mm guider.
ZWO EAF x 2.
2 years 2 months ago #79261

Hi Max, It was in a thread on the problem with the polar alignment with EQMod in the current stable version. Maybe somewhat hidden in the actual thread topic which is why I thought to repeat the question as a separate topic.hoping that someone knows.

The delta for the calculated deviation of the Polar Alignment between the 2 versions is reproducible around 3 arcminutes which indicates in my view something has changed in the code of the apllication or the EQMod Mount driver. At least I would be keen to understand what it is.
2 years 2 months ago #79269

• Thank you received: 155
With my CEM120 I have never had consistent polar alignment with EKOS.  There is a large difference just slewing East vs West when aligning.
I have always had some error - as seen with unguided drift error in DEC.  I also used EKOS to gain PA and then used the drift method and found I was off by over 3 minutes.  

2 years 2 months ago #79279

Peter, thank you for sharing these insights. Worth considering to vary conditions like east/west with the same software version to see what happens.
Alex
2 years 2 months ago #79301

Time to create page: 0.393 seconds