INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Re:Re:Wifi issues

• Thank you received: 2

Wifi issues was created by Richard Wesson

After some teething issues, I have Stellarmate up and running and I do like the integrated approach it offers. However, I seem to be encountering constant problems with VNC viewer cutting out with the following message:

'Attempting to reconnect to vnc server. The connection was closed remotely.'

I am using a Flirc case, but I have an external wifi adapter (Brostrend AC650).

This occurs both if the adapter is connected to a powered USB 3 hub or plugged indirectly into the RPi usb port. It is operating on the 5ghz frequency. When plugged in directly to the RPi, this behaviour also happens if it is immediately next to the computer I am viewing on so it is npot an issue with distance. It feels like the adpater is being powered down intermittently - like a kind of power saving mode. 

Does anybody have any ideas or solutions? It is extremely frustating. 
2 years 2 months ago #79742

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 301

Replied by Eric on topic Re:Wifi issues

It could be the access point or the client. You should try with another WiFi client first, another laptop or a phone. I think there is a linux tool named "powertop" which you can use to check the configuration of the system, and what device is set to "aggressive" sleep by the kernel.

-Eric
2 years 2 months ago #79746

Replied by Richard Wesson on topic Re:Wifi issues

Eric,

Thank you for the quick reply. I have had this isue on two seperate laptops, and also access using the stellarmate app on tablet, which can also have issues but not as severe, so i think likely to be to do with the RPi.
2 years 2 months ago #79749

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Michael Evans on topic Re:Wifi issues

Richard
           Are you sure the RPI is connected to the wifi adapter? This can be verified kstars>software updater.There should be a green blob next to the wifi dongle ip.

Mike
2 years 2 months ago #79750

Mike,

Thank you for your reply. The hotspot appears to be running via the adapter - if I click on top right showing network connections it shows the hotspot as realtek wifi with broadcom BCM43438 combo and bluetooth low energy disconnected. I am assuming the latter is the internal wifi.

On stellarmate I cannot see where kstars>software updater is. Also, how would I know the IP address of the adapter? Sorry for the basic questions.
2 years 2 months ago #79765

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Michael Evans on topic Re:Wifi issues

Richard
        Sorry, I gave you bad instructions. The updater is on the Stellarmate os page (the one with the Andromeda neb) It's a Stellarmate spiral symbol marked Updater. Depending on your screen size it may be hidden in the bottom left hand corner. Click on that and you will find the ip address of the wifi adapter and the internal wifi. You seem to have the wifi connected correctly. Have you tried running Kstars on the computer and using the indi drivers on the RPI to see if that helps. Not sure why that should be better , but you never know.

Mike

2 years 2 months ago #79769

Double checked my settings and the hotspot is via the wifi dongle - there is a green button next to it.

If I was to run Ekos on the computer, then any wifi interruptions would surrely mean that insturctions to mount, guiding etc would be disrupted wouldnt it?

What I really want to do is sort out why the hotspot seems to keep cutting out i.e. if there is some kind of power throttling or cut out/sleep setting that needs to be altered.
2 years 2 months ago #79770

Replied by Richard Wesson on topic Wifi issues

Bump. Anybody else any thoughts?

Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by Richard Wesson.
2 years 2 months ago #79936

• Thank you received: 19

Replied by MORELLI on topic Wifi issues

I can just give you my experience. I put a Vonet VAP11G-300 on the RPI4, used as a wifi repeater and it runs very well.
Just a tip, try to exit the full screen on your PC. I noticed a better flow than with a full screen. I use Nomachine instead of VNC but I have both on the PC.
Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by MORELLI.
2 years 2 months ago #79938

Replied by Richard Wesson on topic Wifi issues

Thank you for your reply. I already have wifi dongle as stated above - am not after suggestions for spending on new stuff. What I need is some cond of insight as to why the usbdongle I already have seems to give intermittent service.
2 years 2 months ago #79947

• Thank you received: 5

Replied by Alexander Weis on topic Re:Wifi issues

I work with an external USB 3 Wifi adapter as well. Here are some challenges I observed which might be helpful:
- If you work in a home Wifi with several repeaters check if you did the setup at a different location than the actual observation site. I did and it turned out that the WiFi adapter connects to a hardware but not to the Wifi network in general i.e. it tries to connect to a certain box even a repeater in the network with the same SSID nearby provides a much better signal. Indicator: when testing indoors things seem to work much more stable
-Check if besid the WiFi dongle the Raspberry is still connected to your home WFi directly, If so, supress this connection in the network settings (main menu)
- Check the VNC settings (icon aat the top right of the Pi desktop) and uncheck that it disconnects when the connected device is inactive. I don't have a Pi around to check the exact wording at the moment

Maybe one of these things could help you to get closer to the root cause.

Gesendet von meinem SM-T510 mit Tapatalk
2 years 2 months ago #79959

Thank you for the reply. The first 2 points I dont think apply - it is operating on hotspot and not connecting to my home wifi. 

I cannot find VNC setting anywhere on Stellarmate on the Pi - there are network setting at topright but these do not change VNC settings. 
2 years 2 months ago #79960

Time to create page: 1.408 seconds