INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Setting Up a Celestron EdgeHD 9.25 - Stellarsolver Fails

• Thank you received: 3
I have used Stellarmate successfully with my Skywatcher 100ED scope but now I'm trying to setup my Celestron Edge HD9.25 with Stellarmate.

Configuration
  • Celestron EdgeHD 9.25
  • Skywatcher EQ6R mount
  • Celestron .7 Focal Reducer
  • Celestron SCT motorized focuser
  • Celestron OAG with ASI120MM for guiding
  • ASI462MC primary imager
  • ASI filter drawer
Everything connects successfully and I can control everything. The issue I am having is with stellarsolver. It fails whenever I attempt to align to a target. First thing I checked was to make sure I had the telescope setup correctly. The Celestron EdgeHD 9.25 has a focal length of 2350mm and an aperture of 235m. With the .7 focal reducer the focal length is 1645mm. The ASI462 appears to be setup correctly (checked all the parameters in EKOS). Calculating the FOV I get 11.73' x 6.64' and in the align module I see 11.7' x 6.6' for FOV and F/ is 7. Since it's an F10 scope, the focal reducer would make it F7 I believe. So, I think that is correct.

The error message solver failed ... there is not enough stars, check FOV...etc.

I'm hoping someone can suggest other things I should check. or other information I can provide that could help debug this issue.
1 year 10 months ago #82986

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 31
Applying Pythagorean Theorem, your circular FOV is 13.47' . So first of all, you need to see if you've got the index-4205-*.fits file. In EKOS, look at Align/Options/Index files for this. Eventually download it. That said, this sensor is VERY small so chances are you won't have enough stars in your image to solve your position, except maybe if you're pointing at some object inside the Milky Way.
There's nothing to do with this, it's not a bug and you're not responsible. Try with a camera with a larger FOV and it will work fine. I have a Celestron C11 XLT (2800mm focal lengh) and it solves perfectly with my ASI1600.

- Marc
Last edit: 1 year 10 months ago by Marc.
1 year 10 months ago #82993

1 year 10 months ago #82994

Thanks Jasem and Marc:

I reviewed the documentation you linked me to and reviewed my Astrometry FITS files. I'm going to give another try when the weather improves. It's clear that with my FOV I need to have sharp stars and enough of them to make it work. Might need to move to another camera with a wider FOV.
1 year 10 months ago #83002

Can you share a link to a sample FITS file you captured with your camera?
1 year 10 months ago #83004

It's been cloudy here and probably remain so for the next couple of days. When it clears up I will share a FITS file from the Align module.
1 year 10 months ago #83045

I tried to solve according to your specs, using the simulators and GSC . As I suspected, I only managed to solve when I was inside the Milky Way. Everywhere else it seems there is not enough stars in the FOV for the solver to work.

1 year 10 months ago #83046
Attachments:

I didn't even think about trying the simulator! Thanks for taking the time. I guess I'm going have to look for things that are in a region with a lot of stars, or get a different camera. Could be an excuse for another astrophotography technology purchase!

I was using the ZWO ASI462MC for planetary imaging and I thought I would give it a try on some deep space objects. That's how I ended up there.
1 year 10 months ago #83062

Same here ... I have an ASI 290mm and a 462c for planetary imaging and an ASI1600mm for deep space. For very small objects I tried to use the 290 but encountered the same problem. So your post was the occasion to go deeper into the subject. :)

- Marc
1 year 10 months ago #83084

Marc

I found an excellent video on YouTube by AstroBlender that goes through his image train and backfocus calculation on a Celestron EdgeHD 9.25. His setup is very close to mine and he suggested the ASI174mm for the guide scope to better match the prism in the a Celestron OAG. I just wish it wasn't so expensive.

My ASI120MM mini just can't see much with the OAG and is not practical for guiding.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marc
1 year 10 months ago #83168

Time to create page: 0.602 seconds