INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

I gave up on the mobile Stellarmate app (iOS, Android), on the Stellarmate OS...

• Thank you received: 0
Ok, I am done.

Again I wasted hours with trying to get Stellarmate to run.

I discovered a lot of things, which do not work:
1. iOS: The app has no pulldown menus for the device. It just shows " - -", nothing more. Autodetect may work, but after 4 hours without detecting anything I stopped it. This behavior had all recent versions of Stellarmate and four different iPads.
2. Android: I was surprised. First time i ever got any pulldown menus. But that is all. I tried to connect the AZ-Gti as described. Typed in the IP address and pressed the "SET" button. Nothing happened. Even restarts, prayers and swearing did not help. No possibility to change the IP address.
The cam is connected but has no function.

Yes, I opened tickets. But the usual answer "download the latest version of the software" got boring over the time.

I am sad about it. I was looking for a better solution to ASIAIR. But now I recommend our customers to avoid this piece of software.
1 year 9 months ago #83735
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 226

Replied by Andrew on topic I gave up on Stellarmate

The Stellarmate only has one built in WiFi antenna that it uses by default as a hotspot to connect to. Therefore, without an additional external WiFi adapter, there is no other way for the Pi to connect to the AZ-Gti built-in hotspot. So basically the IP address did nothing because I don't believe they shared a network. I would recommend a standard EQmod cable for this situation.
1 year 9 months ago #83743
Tahnk you for the suggestion. They both were in the same network.

But, EQDIR cable does not work also. I can't do anything with this connection. The mount does not move.
1 year 9 months ago #83754
  • Thank you received: 226

Replied by Andrew on topic I gave up on Stellarmate

Since it can use the synscan hand controller, there is no reason why it wouldn't work with the EQmod driver and cable.
Did you forget to unpark it?
Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Andrew.
1 year 9 months ago #83755
Andrew,

Thank you very much for the hint.

I gave up on Stellarmate. It never worked, the problems are not logical and the support is non existent.

I just wanted to yell out my frustation here. I will not waste any minute more to this. Life is too precious to be wasted to this piece of software. Astroberry works perfectly. It is just the Stellarmate app on iOs and Android.
1 year 9 months ago #83757
  • Thank you received: 1

Replied by Paul Imm on topic I gave up on Stellarmate

Karsten: I can feel for you in your plight as I too find the Stellarmate App presently unworkable.

As far as the Stellarmate OS (as not used on a mobile app) I find that even with the odd assortment of connection issues that everything works satisfactorily. I in fact did not buy Stellarmate for an app, I just bought it to avoid getting install scripts for Astroberry correct. Even though you had success with the Astroberry OS, you weren't able to get it working on the ASIAIR device to use mobile.

I am wishing and wanting the Stellarmate app to just work, I might want to play around with the ASIAIR device but it has some very serious proprietary issues. If the Stellarmate app would just work I think that it would give ASIAIR a run for the money. This app looks so promising, but it must only run correctly under a limited set of circumstances.

I am not seeing very much dialog with people who are using the Stellarmate app, and what they did to get it to work successfully. If you ask a Stellarmate app question here or on Cloudy Nights you just hear crickets.
1 year 9 months ago #83819
  • Thank you received: 86
Stellarmate OS is working well for me.
It's in active development and now is much more stable than it was, say, two years ago.

Stellarmate App is a different story.
I tried it several times and found it unstable and difficult to use.
Last time I tried was about a month ago and it was already much more stable - I could actually use it.
Still, I prefer a full blown Stellarmate OS.
But really want to move to SM App for my mobile setup which would eliminate monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Oh... Yes. Not many people on this forum use the SM App.
But on the Facebook SM group it seems that most people do use the App.

Karsten - you say, you are frustrated with SM since SM App doesn't work right for you.
Then you say that Astroberry is working just fine for you.
But Astroberry doesn't have any Mac or Android app!

Astroberry is a good and free alternative to SM.
But SM is getting updated much more often and is getting better every month.
And eventually, I am sure, SM app will get polished out.
-- Max S
ZWO AM5. RST-135. AZ-GTI. HEQ5. iOptron SkyTracker.
TPO RC6. FRA400. Rokinon 135 and other lenses.
ZWO ASI2600MC. D5500 modified with UVIR clip-in filter.
ZWO ASI120MM Mini x 2. ZWO 30F4 guider. Orion 50mm guider.
ZWO EAF x 2.
Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by maxthebuilder.
1 year 9 months ago #83826
Thank you all for your suggestions.

You are correct. The Stellarmate OS is running quite well and it is very close to Astroberry. But.. why should I use SM when AB is working very well?

To be honest: I prefer N.I.N.A, I am more a solar observer and the hardware requirements are too high for Raspberries.

I only was looking for an alternative to ASIAIR which is a pain in the ass (i was working with all three versions, the best one is the PRO version so far) for our customers. I even offered Jasem a big budget for developing the app further, but he never showed any interest ("please open a ticket"). Yeah, sure, I am willing to pay thousands of bucks and get treated like [censored]?

Now I am looking for a programming team to create an app solution for N.I.N.A.

A reliable micro PC with a lot of processing power is not much more expensive compared to a Berry. So why bother with SM anymore? Especially when there is no interest of the creator?

Don't get me wrong: I love INDI, I am just tired of SM.
1 year 9 months ago #83827
  • Thank you received: 86
Karsten,
I do see your point.
Good luck!
-- Max S
ZWO AM5. RST-135. AZ-GTI. HEQ5. iOptron SkyTracker.
TPO RC6. FRA400. Rokinon 135 and other lenses.
ZWO ASI2600MC. D5500 modified with UVIR clip-in filter.
ZWO ASI120MM Mini x 2. ZWO 30F4 guider. Orion 50mm guider.
ZWO EAF x 2.
1 year 9 months ago #83829
  • Thank you received: 15
Hello,

I am puzzled. The objects of complaint pertains to things not related to Raspberry PI OS directly. I connect via VNC. StellarMate OS for the Raspberry PI works well.

So if iOS and Android apps issues are the problem, then use other methods. Besides, terminal seems to be the best place to get updates for the OS and the StellarMate Suite. The RPI app supplied cannot seem to find all updates. It seems to be singularly focused on StellarMate OS. Terminal still works. By pass the problems. Options are available.
1 year 9 months ago #83897
  • Thank you received: 1

Replied by Paul Imm on topic I gave up on Stellarmate

John,

I had no idea that the iOS App Store was not kept up to date!

This gives some hope for a solution that already is out there. I believe that I am at 2.1 and 2.5 is available.

I am going to guess that within the app there is somewhere to perform the app update.

Within the app I saw that the SM OS itself was up to date at 1.71.

The confusion for me is that there is a Android and iOS version with different release numbers , also trusting that the App Store drives the latest
1 year 9 months ago #83899
Hello John,

Thank you for the hint.

I know SM works quite well on a Raspberry, as Astroberry does.

My complaints are about the apps (Android and iOS). I personally prefer the way you mention: using the OS via VNC, (again, why should i buy SM when Astroberry does a the same job for free?). But our customers are the new generation, only able to press three buttons on a mobile device and complaining it is too complicated. These brain handicapped need a solution, being born with a mobile device in their hands. The only one working is ASIAIR, which is no alternative.
Both SM apps do not work. We tried about 12 devices to get them running. Several versions, several different people tried it. It's just the apps, neither users or devices. EVERY customer, who tried to use SM came back to us (unfortunately I recommended SM in the past) and told me, that the mobile apps do not work. But that was the reason to use the app. We switched them to N.I.N.A with VNC and they are happy now (but still missing a mobile app - which we solve soon).

Problems occur of course. Every software has it's glitches. But the way the support man treated me showed me there is no real interest in it. He had his chance...
1 year 8 months ago #83909
Time to create page: 0.645 seconds