INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos crashes repeatedly during plate solve and guiding.

• Thank you received: 1
The last 2 times that I had my telescope out I have ended up with crashes that can't be resolved.

I am updated to the StellarMate OS 1.71 version.

A little less than a week ago my Ekos connection failed when I tried guiding.

Last evening I got bumped from Ekos when I attempted to guide. The guiding never took a picture before the failure. Ironically I tried guiding after a successful plate solve, but after the initial guiding crash I had plate solving crashes.

I decided to try imaging without guiding. I have an existing image of the Wizard Nebula that I attempted to plate solve to. The plate solve always got to around 7000 away from a good solve. Next I would see the Wizard Nebula profile captured. At that point Ekos would crash.

I turned off the power and booted the power back on again with my guiding crash and the 1st 2 plate solve crashes.

After that I found that Kstars never dropped just the Ekos tabs. If I clicked the Ekos button I would get a message that Ekos was still running. If I answered "No" to keep the existing connection I would get a failure with port assignments and my guide camera didn't show up as one of the devices. It worked if I clicked the Ekos button and answered yes to actually drop Ekos and bring everything back up again. I just had to change a couple settings. Still I never could resolve the plate solve.

Any idea on what might be going on here?

It is possible that the problems started after updating to StellarMate OS 1.71, but it could be an error started by having a RTC chip installed on the Pi.
1 year 8 months ago #84238

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 25
I have a similar issue after uptating to Stellarmate OS 1.7.1

In my case, plate solving never ends, and if I press "Stop" it hang during 1 or 2 minutes. Eventually it recovers, but not always.

KStars 3.5.9 (or 3.5.8 the issue is the same).

Correction:
It's not the same. For some reason, the FOV parameter in the plate solving sheet, was set to 0'x0'.
After seting the correct values, it works ok.
Last edit: 1 year 8 months ago by Ferran Casarramona.
1 year 8 months ago #84245

• Thank you received: 94
Hi
Is it this perhaps?
www.indilib.org/forum/ekos/10822-kstars-...d-crash.html?start=0

Without the log, we can only guess.
HTH
1 year 8 months ago #84252

Alacant: A memory leak certainly could describe the issue. I don't know anything about generating a log. If this is just a terminal script perhaps I could do this, knowing what needs to be entered. At least this might describe the issue.

I have been using the StellarMate OS desktop via VNC because the StellarMate app crashes even worse. Perhaps the same issue plagues both the SM desktop and app.
1 year 8 months ago #84265

• Thank you received: 94
Hi
Access to logs is via the 'Logs' button visible upon opening the EKOS window.
HTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Imm
1 year 8 months ago #84270

Latest KStars + StellarSolver nightlies are released on StellarMate. It is worth checking out to see if you get these crashes. Please run KStars via EkosDebugger tool on the desktop and send back any crash reports.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Imm
1 year 8 months ago #84278

Thank you,

I will check into this when I access StellarMate the next time.

I am waiting for a new micro SD card that I am planning on assembling with a more powerful Pi (8gig), fan, RTC chip and new case. Hoping that if there is too much overhead on the Pi that this might help.

Of course I am not sure whether this would resolve the issue in the case of a memory leak.
Last edit: 1 year 8 months ago by Paul Imm. Reason: Added comment.
1 year 8 months ago #84283

Time to create page: 0.692 seconds