INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Stellar Mate KStars vs Astroberry KStars

• Thank you received: 10
Stellar Mate OS version of KStars stores its geographical data in mycities.sqlite.
Astroberry KStars stores it in the standard mycities.dat file that they outline on the KStars support site.

So, my question.... are they one and the same? I've got a ticket entered over at Stellar Mate also.. but figured I might get as quick (if not quicker) response from the folks here.

My main reason of asking is I have 2 RPi's.... one running each system. And I've been entering geographical data for IDS sites here in Texas, and instead of having to do it twice, I was wanting to simply copy the data file between the two - but with the filename mis-match I don't know if they are both using sqlite SQL data format or not.
Last edit: 1 year 7 months ago by Tracy Perry.
1 year 7 months ago #85650

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Obtained the apparent answer... BOTH are sqlite SQL database format... one just uses the .sqlite extension and the other uses the .dat extension... so you should be able to rename one and use it on the other.
1 year 7 months ago #85709

Now, does anyone know the address/location to send your customized mycities data to?
KDE KStars website wasn't very helpful other than the documentation telling you to send yours to them if you wanted... but I never could find anything other than a mailing list to sign up to that might allow it (and I don't do mailing lists, getting over 125 emails a day already is more than enough to go through).
1 year 7 months ago #85759

Well...I guess the following apply:
  1. Nobody knows the answer
  2. It's a trade secret and they have to shoot you after they tell you and they are out of bullets?
  3. Nobody gives a poop?
  4. Nobody cares about updated State Park dark sky locations
I didn't even get a further response from Jasem on the ticket that I asked about related over on StellarMate.
Love the software... but is it really this hard to get such a simple answer?
1 year 7 months ago #85821

Usually it's a pull-request to submit a change against the city database. You sent me one but I didn't have the time yet to check the differences and merge it upstream.
1 year 7 months ago #85823

Alright, just pushed your changes to KStars. Thank you for the contribution!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tracy Perry
1 year 7 months ago #85825

Thanks!

Sorry to seem pushy, but in addition to trying to get my site off the ground I'm working on getting several IDS recognized sites and Bortle 3 or less into the database that are public access. I don't do GitHub or such so if there is an email that those can be sent to, I would appreciate it. If you don't want to post it here, you can sent it to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

I hadn't heard back, and after dealing with some "absent minded" developers I was curios if there was a better way to submit them.

The page really needs better instructions on how to submit changes, realizing that not everyone does GitHub.
Thanks again!!!!!!!
1 year 7 months ago #85827

Time to create page: 0.210 seconds