INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

stellarmate app become not responsive

• Thank you received: 0
The technology and architecture used to build the app were not optimal, so I woudn't expect ui responsivenes from a react native app. As well as app doesn't process some events from ekos and doesn't notify you in ui. There are several layers between your equipment and your tablet, indi communicates to kstars/ekos, ekos to ekoslive, ekoslive to your app. There can be fault on any step, the more layers - the more problems we have

For me it is easier to use vnc and ekos, it is much more stable, it shows most of the messages/errors whats happening, so that it is clear that something went wrong instead of wordless app
1 year 5 months ago #87408
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 3
To eliminate several variables I re-downloaded the iso, copied to the ssd in use, updated the system. In the meantime, the app has been updated to version 2.5.6. Despite this, the problem of high latency to stop the acquisition is of the order of tens of seconds. In doing these tests, I monitored what was happening to stellarmate using vnc, it seems to use two different devices. The one managed by the app is from a temporal point of view, far behind, giving the impression that it works autonomously, while with vnc everything is normal. There must be some kind of communication problem between stellarmate application and device.
1 year 5 months ago #87427
  • Thank you received: 8
Do you use "internet security" software on your tablet?
Maybe try to switch to 2.4 GHz instead of using 5 GHz mode.
Did you check with VNC from within the app (Settings tab) or from another device?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Christian T
1 year 5 months ago #87435
well, I did other tests, I checked vnc from the tablet and from the pc. Everything works fine. Only the control interface of ekos on stellarmate is problematic, with high latency.
1 year 5 months ago #87443
  • Thank you received: 8
If there is an update after which the lagging took place, it may be good to check resource usage by the app.
Memory footprint, CPU usage etc.
1 year 5 months ago #87451
After many tests, where I reset everything possible, the problem remains, the cpu is on average at 20% at maximum peaks, the ram is always little used. I don't know what else to do, I will wait for further updates.
1 year 5 months ago #87530
  • Thank you received: 0
Can you run command htop in the terminal?
1 year 5 months ago #87554
  • Thank you received: 13

I've noticed the same issue several times recently. I use VNC to access the RPi and frequently the apps are non-responsive for various amounts of time. CPU usage stays around it's normal 6%- 20% by the monitor software on the taskbar. You try to open a terminal session to check htop and it may take 15-30 seconds to respond. 5Ghz connection with a 71% signal strength.
This even goes to the start menu.... press the icon and you "may" get the menu pop up 20 or so seconds later... then the system goes back to being responsive.
Having fun learning about the cosmos.
I run an astrophotography site as a hobby.
1 year 5 months ago #87555
Me too, thanks for your post.
1 year 5 months ago #87557
I am new here, also new to AP and just purchased Stellarmate last month and now doing some proper testing. I have tried to run Stellarmate on an NEC Lavie T8 tablet (128GB version) running Android 11. 2022 model so no slouch. I have it connected to a Raspberry Pi 4+ with an AZ-GTi and a Canon EOS60 DSLR.

I also experienced huge problems with the android app crashing, becoming unresponsive and just being generally very laggy. I found exactly the same problem of trying to stop image capture, but also had problems just switching between the Ekos, Targets and Setting tabs within the app. When switching to the targets tab, I saw a lot of screen layout errors with diagonal lines being overdrawn on the menus.

Through 3 hours of testing I had to reboot the Raspberry Pi three times and restart the app maybe 8 to 10 times. I gave up when the app completely locked up my tablet, couldn't even get back to the home screen.

This is with version 2.5.6 on the tablet and version 1.7.3 64 bit on the Pi. With 1.7.2 I was having problems just getting a profile set up so I re-formatted the SD card and installed a new clean download of 1.7.3. This seemed to work better for a short while.

During the three hours, on just 2-3 occasions, everything worked smooth as butter with targets being located perfectly and a series of live photo shots being completed, but then suddenly everything would collapse.

Not a good experience - I am very disappointed.
1 year 5 months ago #87571
Thank you for the feedback folks. Latest App version as of this date is 2.5.7 on both stores. I have several iPads & Androids devices to test the App and didn't encounter such severe lag as described above. This leads me to believe it is more of a communication issue between the App and StellarMate than it is an issue in the App itself. I'm going to introduce a color-coded ping-delay indicator in the App to gauge the responsiveness. If there is a pattern, then we will find out what is causing this.
1 year 5 months ago #87630
if i can help you with debug, please tell me how.
1 year 5 months ago #87632
Time to create page: 0.706 seconds