INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Stellarmate APP from remote location

• Thank you received: 41
Greetings!

I am trying to find a way to access my Stellarmate OS thought the APP from a remote location. I have access with NoMachine, works perfectly fine, but I would like to have the ability to use the APP too (from my Mac M1 - the APP works great if I am on the same network)

The APP is looking by default on the same network for a Stellarmate OS.

Any idea how it could be possible? Tunneling or something?

10 months 3 weeks ago #92618
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 28
Hi,

It seems you are running StellarMate OS on the Beelink? You indicate you can run the StellarMate app on your M1 Mac and it connects to the StellarMate OS (on the Beelink?) while on the same network. In the remote setup you mention are you still using the M1 Mac or a tablet or something else to run the app and connect to the StellarMate OS?

The one thing that came immediately to mind is the wifi settings on the StellarMate OS (Beelink) side of things. If, when you use your setup at home are sharing your home network? When you are using it remotely, then the Beelink should be set to broadcast its own WiFi network signal (rather than attaching to your home network for example). Your device running the StellarMate app should be able to join the Beelink's network and the app should find the instance of the StellarMate OS.

Since I don't know the particulars of your environment, I may be way off base.
10 months 3 weeks ago #92636

This is correct: I run the Stellarmate X OS an a Beelink mini pc, the Stellamate APP on my Mac M1 and this combo works like a charm on the same network. And this is exactly how the suppose to work: both OS and APP share the same network.

And this is how my case becomes tricky:

I have a remote observatory with its own network. I can access this network from anywhere through Dynamic DNS and control my observatory without issues.

I would like to have the ability to use the Stellarmate APP too, but as far as I can see the APP cross checks the IP’s and blocks the connection if it is not through the same network. This is where I am looking for a workaround: How can I make the APP to believe that is connected directly to my observatory’s network.
10 months 3 weeks ago #92646

• Thank you received: 28
Have you considered using a VNC (like Screens for MacOS or iOS: edovia.com/en/)? I haven't used the StellarMate app, even on my own network, in quite a while. I use Screens to control KStars from a tablet when I don't want to use my desktop or laptop computer. Of course, you are dealing with the KStars/EKOS UI rather than the more attractive StellarMate UI but it has worked well for me.
10 months 3 weeks ago #92659

I currently use NoMachine with all my headless remote servers - observatory too - with no issue.

But I would like to have the ability to use the APP too.
10 months 3 weeks ago #92667

• Thank you received: 30
Try specifying the Wan's IP address.

If port 7624 is open you should be able to connect.

I use a VPN when remote from a remote location.
10 months 2 weeks ago #92726

The WAN IP is the specified, that is also the DDNS IP. This is not the issue. I can access my StellarMate OS with no issue via VPN, No Machine, SSH etc.

The problem is that the StellarMate APP does not uses an IP from the same network as the StellarMate OS. And that’s why I get the error as the picture above (in fact this is the WAN IP and the StellarMate APP IP)
10 months 2 weeks ago #92727

Where is APP's WIFI connected?

router?

When connecting to remote locations, you need to open 7624 port on each router.

It used to be easy to use INDIHub, but now it's gone, so you'll need to use a VPN or open the 7624 port in your router settings to use INDI.
10 months 2 weeks ago #92736

For the records, Jasem replied to me with this:

Currently, the App checks if the local IP Address (of the iPad/tablet) belongs to the same network as the detected StellarMate device. Only if this condition is met then it can continue to communicate with StellarMate. If Tablet/iPad IP address and StellarMate are in different networks, then connection cannot proceed.
Last edit: 10 months 2 weeks ago by Euripides.
10 months 2 weeks ago #92740

In that case, INDIHub is gone now, so tunneling such as VPN is necessary. If you use a PC with a built-in router or VPN server on the APP side, the observatory side will also be treated as a LAN.

The Raspberry Pi distribution I distribute in Japan has a built-in VPN server.

tstudioastronomy.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-268.html→Distribution place
tstudioastronomy.blog.fc2.com/blog-category-31.html→Explanatory text

Please check with the translation engine.
10 months 2 weeks ago #92751

Just a heads up, the StellarMate app now works with an external IP. Jasem removed the restriction for the local network.
7 months 3 weeks ago #94251

Time to create page: 0.767 seconds