INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Can anybody recommend USB GPS dongle for RPi/StellarMate?

• Thank you received: 69
Jasem posted earlier a tutorial that showed how to invoke it. : stellarmate.com/support.html?view=kb&kbartid=6
5 years 4 months ago #31196

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 20
Shoot, wish I'd seen this earlier Greg. I have one of those absurdly cheap USB dongles and it works just fine with my RPi3 and Stellarmate.
5 years 4 months ago #31209

• Thank you received: 66

Lol - got lucky I guess. It seems GPS is one of those old tech items that just hasn't changed. Maybe that cheap one is new enough not to have USB-to-Serial conversation in it, which requires knowing and setting the baud rate (if its not 9600) :S
5 years 4 months ago #31214

• Thank you received: 3
Just purchased a USB dongle from Etsy with the Navisys GR-701W that includes a ppi signal. It works well w/ my odroid on ubuntu and my laptop w/ fedora 28. GPSD and NTP set up...working well. Creates a usb-serial (ttyUSB*) device.

HOWEVER -- I noted that cgps utility looks good (valid output...takes 5-10 seconds for a fix)... but within kstars / ekos / indi... I do not get the right longitude. I get 360- <my longitude...of -77 degrees). Instead of -77, I get 283. Any ideas how to fix this?

www.etsy.com/listing/501829632/navisys-gr-701w-u-blox-7-usb-pps
5 years 4 months ago #31557

that's the correct longitude. in INDI, longitude is 0 to +360 eastward. So there are no problems here.
5 years 4 months ago #31571

• Thank you received: 0
Hi Jasem when I use the value 242 (In California) my synscan mount faces completely the wrong way. However when I manually enter the GPS into the remote it works fine.
5 years 4 months ago #31637

Then something is going very wrong. Please attach the logs next time you run.
5 years 4 months ago #31638

Not exactly about a dongle, but...
If my mount have a GPS (iOptron CEM60/120), can I configure the GPS source (on other drivers) to my mount? This works?
For exemple, in indi_watcher_weather or indi_vantage_weather (and others), on GPS property (snoop devices), there's a way to get the data from Mount's GPS?
Could it be just put the mount id in this field? If not, maybe this can be on a "wish list".
5 years 4 months ago #31652

Will look at how to submit the logs, and then repro the issue. Can i repro with the simulator? Or do i need to setup the scope?
5 years 4 months ago #31655

• Thank you received: 6
Hi,
Does anyone have a experience getting out GPS data from Celestron SkySync attached to mount? (AVX) What has to be done? I'm newbie here...
Thanks,
5 years 2 months ago #34182

• Thank you received: 2
I have a Garmin USB GPS. It has been seen by Stellarmate Web manager and it has been assigned a serial port of /dev/gps. The GPSD driver is loaded and the GPSD file is reflecting the device info.

My issue is that it is not been seen by anything else. The Indi Control Panel connects but sits at GPS fix is in progress.

Any suggestions to help me get this working??

Thanks

Liam
5 years 1 month ago #35242

• Thank you received: 182

Unless you are a vagrant and constantly on the move, I cannot see the need for a GPS dongle. Seems to me as superfluous as a goiter.

If you are imaging from your home, all you need to do is enter the position once manually and you are done. Your phone will give you your exact coordinates.

Ditto for your dark site.

My guess is you need to move to 100 different locations before you will even notice a difference in time savings using a dongle over manual entry of your coordinates.

There is a long list of other things I am missing in Ekos, GPS location settings is not one of them.
5 years 1 month ago #35307

Time to create page: 1.353 seconds