INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Can You Use Two Stellarmates Together in Hotspot Mode?

• Thank you received: 31
The more I think about this, the more I don't think so, but I'll ask anyway. I want to be able to run two Stellarmates together so Kstars/Ekos sees them as one (distributed computing) to split the load and improve performance. I spent the last weekend figuring out how to do this over my home WiFi network and after LOTS of trial and error I finally got it to work well . Now I want to do the same thing using the Hotspot mode for when I am at a remote location - and possibly at home - especially if there's a performance boost vs. using WiFi. OR, is the only way by using a WiFi router in the field - i.e. basically the same setup as my home network?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!
Tom
5 years 1 week ago #36735

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 28
If you have it working on your home network, why not just tether both Stellarmates to your mobile phone instead of using the hotspot??
5 years 1 week ago #36737

• Thank you received: 33
Tom,
It seems to me hotspot mode is what ChrisHoward explains in his tutorial?
indilib.org/forum/general/3788-running-a...ing-setup.html#28788
Looking through Jasem's tutorial he is setting up using wifi.
Maybe I'm not understanding your question?
5 years 1 week ago #36746

Brian,

That was one of the tutorials that helped me get two Stellarmates chained together over my WiFi. One controls just my imaging camera, the second controls my iOptron iEQ45 Pro mount and my guide camera. These two RPIs are controled by Kstars'Ekos on a remote PC that sees the two RPIs as one. I want to do the same thing, but via Hotspot mode for when I am in a remote location, away from my WiFi.

Petarm,

I do not have a mobil phone I can do that with - my phone is provided by my work and I'm locked out of doing anything other than calls and photos. :-(

Thanks for your help guys!

Tom
5 years 1 week ago #36781

Brian,

That was one of the tutorials that helped me get two Stellarmates chained together over my WiFi. One controls just my imaging camera, the second controls my iOptron iEQ45 Pro mount and my guide camera. These two RPIs are controled by Kstars'Ekos on a remote PC that sees the two RPIs as one. I want to do the same thing, but via Hotspot mode for when I am in a remote location, away from my WiFi.

Petarm,

I do not have a mobil phone I can do that with - my phone is provided by my work and I'm locked out of doing anything other than calls and photos. :-( I do however, own an Android tablet (no phone on it though) that I'll look into configuring it as a WiFi router - thanks for the idea.

Tom
Last edit: 5 years 1 week ago by Tom Bardenwerper.
5 years 1 week ago #36782

• Thank you received: 28
Hi Tom, Have a look at this. It may help.

I have not tried it. I have only tried the mobile phone method.

askubuntu.com/questions/488588/how-do-i-...ltiple-wifi-networks

regards
5 years 1 week ago #36783

Two hotspots? No that's not possible. But perhaps it can work in Ad hoc mode. Check this: raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/...d-hoc-setup-in-rpi-3
4 years 11 months ago #37099

I ended up buying and configuring a router with static IP addresses for the PIs, so this way I have a dedicate network just for astronomy, it's never on the Internet and it doesn't get slowed down by other network traffic. Seems to work well in my bench tests. Waiting for clear skies for a real-world test.
4 years 11 months ago #37119

• Thank you received: 0
To run two Stellarmates at remote site, Werper's approach of setting up a router and running them both on single wifi network sounds good (but its yet another piece of equipment to manage).
Did it work?
Is this still the best solution?
4 years 6 months ago #43249

Time to create page: 0.694 seconds