INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Problem with persistent USB link in Stellarmate...(I think)

• Thank you received: 18
wild card on the ttyUSB ... ttyUSB*
and try "ttyUSB.NEQ6". if you unplug and run lsusb and then plug in and
run lsusb is your puter registering a signal? If so, its not a hardware issue,
its a software issue.
4 years 10 months ago #39301

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1
Many many thanks to everyone for all the advice offered. I very much appreciate the support.

I have finally found success!!!
I just need some clear skies and a good target.

I though it would be worth posting with my findings.
After update to StellarMate 1.4.0 I still had no success with the usb-serial connection. In addition, the update seems to have broken the web manager.
So I'm back to 1.3.5 again which is working well.
I have a new USB-Serial cable, this time with a genuine FTDI chip, and this has worked "out of the box". Since it has a different vendor/product ID from my GPS then I don't even have to use the Serial assistant or any UDEV rules.
It would seem that the CP210x chip does not play well with StellarMate.

Hope this info is useful for others.

Chris
4 years 10 months ago #39439

• Thank you received: 6
I experience the same problem, intermittently. I am using a direct serial interface on the Pi board, UART5 to be precise, mapped to ttyAMA1. This port is hardwired to the NEQ6 controller board, through level converters. Another port, UART0, is used for GPS and is mapped to ttyAMA0.

The error I get (in Kstars control panel) is: "Port /dev/ttyAMA1 is already used by another driver or process."

What I would like to know to help me debugging is what exactly is causing the software to output this message?

The problem may be HW related, but could equally well be an Ubuntu/Raspberry driver issue.

Thanks,
Arjan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Arjan.
3 years 6 months ago #59819

In INDI, when a driver opens a serial port, it sets as exclusive and then performs the handshake process. If handshake is successful, the driver is connected. On failure, it closes the port and releases all resources associated with it. Now, other drivers can open it and claim exclusivity. So this message is produced when two more drivers are trying to open the same port while another driver has a lock on it. The best long term solution for this is to use serial port mapping so that each driver connects to a specific end point (e.g. /dev/mount) and Auto Search is Disabled.
3 years 6 months ago #59823

• Thank you received: 6
Hi Jasem,

Yes, I understand this process, so the warning is only issued when the device is already taken.
What I also see is failure to synchronize with the NEQ6 controller via the serial interface, I suppose this message is issued only after obtaining access to the serial device?
In that case, the warning might be caused by me hitting the Connect button, while the EQMod driver was still in the process of synchronization with the controller: I should leave it alone...

My conclusion therefore is that there are actually HW issues, since sometimes the connect actually succeeds: time to get my oscilloscope out.

Thanks,
Arjan

Edit: I found a loose pin upon visual inspection of the serial i/f, duhh.
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Arjan.
3 years 6 months ago #59834

Time to create page: 0.480 seconds