INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

App not finding device

• Thank you received: 0
Hi there,

I just purchased StellarMateOS (1.4.2), wrote the image onto a 16G sd card and run the system on a RPi3. Everything looks good so far when using my (Debian-based) laptop -- I can connect to the stellarmate hotspot, I can SSH into the OS, I can access the desktop using VNC and I can conjour the INDI web manager.

Alas, the Android app (beta 1.9.11, Bundel v23) won't find the device, although my phone (Galaxy S9 running LineageOS) successfully connected to the stellarmate hotspot and I successfully logged into my stellarmate account (I think -- does the app give any feedback about login state? Is there any [Log out] button?)

Any help appreciated...

Cheers --

Torsten
4 years 8 months ago #41177

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 10
Did you register the app, per the instructions on stellarmate.com? It sounds like you did. What about trying to manually add your device using it's IP address?
4 years 8 months ago #41180

Hi,

well, I entered my stellarmate username and password on the app's startup screen -- this is equivalent to "registering the app", isn't it?

And I've already tried adding the device manually -- but no luck.

What else could prevent the app from seeing the raspi?

Cheers --

Torsten
4 years 8 months ago #41181

The first-time registration step requires entering your license key. Did you do that step? Also, is kstars running on the pi? It should be.
4 years 8 months ago #41182

Hmm... The stellarmate "Initial setup" page at www.stellarmate.com/support/first-time-setup.html says: "When using the App for the first time, you are required to sign in to your stellarmate.com account. This is required in order for the app to download your licence and serial numbers necessary for the device registration. This is only performed once and requires active internet connection." Somewhat further down on the same page it is stated that "After scan is complete, the left side panel should contain a list of detected StellarMate. Click on the detected StellarMate controller. [...] Before the app can be used with the device, it (<- the device, I suppose -- not the app?) must be registered first. The registration information should be automatically filled in" So if I understand correctly, a device must be found *before* the registration key comes into play.

Regarding KStars, I don't remember exactly if I run a device scan before I closed KStars through VNC. But I'm pretty sure that I run some more scans after starting INDI through the web manager. Since KStars -- at least to my knowledge -- doesn't provide any network service by itself, I suppose INDI is what counts. (But I may be wrong here -- I'll try again scanning for my RPi with KStars running.)

Cheers --

Torsten
4 years 8 months ago #41187

OK, just double-checked -- the app doesn't find my device, no matter whether KStars is running or not.
4 years 8 months ago #41192

Did you ever enter your Stellarmate OS license key in the android app? Step 3.2 on the page you linked mentions it. When I first set up the app on my phone a few weeks ago, it prompted me for the license key along with my username and password. I believe the app needs to be associated with a purchased device (or in your case, the OS.) Maybe this step has changed since I first did it, but without the app being able to verify that it has a valid device, it probably won't connect. Otherwise, people could use the app to connect to any kstars/INDI implementation.

If you did enter the license key and it's still not working, I'd open a support ticket on the SM site.
4 years 8 months ago #41195

Hi,

when I log in into my stellarmate account, I can see that the StellarMateOS I purchased already has a serial no and a license key assigned, so step 3.2 shouldn't be required anymore.

Anyway, at no poin the app gave me any opportunity to enter a license key, so the procedure might really have changed.

Cheers --

Torsten
4 years 8 months ago #41203

The attached screenshot is the "registration" screen in the android app. I had to fill this out the first time to register the app to the device. If you don't see the register button, I'm not sure what's going on.
4 years 8 months ago #41204
Attachments:

Thanks for the screenshot, but your app apparently has found your stellarmate - which probablis the reason why you do have a [Register] button while I don't.

Well, I suppose I will finally try opening a support ticket ...

Cheers --

Torsten
4 years 8 months ago #41224

No, the register button has always been there, even before it found my stellarmate. Try resetting the app (under About)...this should clear things out and start you from scratch.
4 years 8 months ago #41230

I really must have a different version of the app -- there is no [Register] button anywhere to be found! I also tried re-setting all app data again, but no such button appeared (not immediately and not after re-starting the app).

Well, I submitted a ticket at stellarmate.com -- let's see what they have to say about this.

Cheers --

Torsten
4 years 8 months ago #41231

Time to create page: 0.372 seconds