INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

SM on Raspberry Pi 4 using different kernel

• Thank you received: 3
Troubleshooting my Stellarmate OS on Pi4 issues with drivers has made me somewhat of a Linux blue belt and I want to know if I can save time by installing everything I need to get StellarMate to work [through the Android App] is possible on a different kernel. My biggest issue now is that my WiFi adapter just isn't working with any of the rtl88x2BU drivers. So I am at the point where I want to try building my own StellarMate on a different kernel...maybe KDE. Although I know Raspian is very stable [naturally]. Is this possible? How would I go about doing it?

stellarmate@stellarmate: uname -a
Linux stellarmate 4.19.63-v7l+ #1249 SMP Thu Aug 1 16:31:35 BST 2019 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux
4 years 6 months ago #42889

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 69
Have you tried this rtl882xbu Wi-FI Installation? These instructions are for an Odroid-N2.
For the USB wi-fi adapter I chose (listed below) and as described in ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2394372&page=3
export ARCH=arm64
sudo apt update
sudo apt install -y git
git clone https://github.com/EntropicEffect/rtl8822bu.git
cd rtl8822bu
make
sudo make install
sudo modprobe 88x2bu
Note that when Update Manager offers a newer kernel version you must recompile after the requested reboot:
cd rtl8822bu
make clean
git pull
make
sudo make install
sudo modprobe 88x2bu
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Jerry Black.
4 years 6 months ago #42923

• Thank you received: 226
User Rlancaste included a script for installing the RTL8822BU driver among his system setup script you may want to try.
github.com/rlancaste/AstroPi3
Specifically: install_driverRTL8822BU.sh
4 years 6 months ago #42924

I will include this driver in the next beta for SM OS on RPi4 plus a newer kernel/firmware. Should be out in a few days.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jerry Black
4 years 6 months ago #42950

• Thank you received: 140
Hi Jasem, will these need to be re flashed to SD card, or updated through the GUI updater..?
I guess with new firmware we are looking at a re flash..
4 years 6 months ago #42951

The RPi4 update would be a reflash it's new kernel/firmware/drivers..etc. It would be still be beta until we get proper upstream support.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AstroNerd
4 years 6 months ago #42955

Awesome Jasem! It would be great if you included all the Realtek drivers -- 8812/8814/88xx. I have an ALFA 1900 I bought to get directional wifi at the end of september star party [Heart of America Star Party] and won't be bringing my SMos Pi4 if I can't get it working in Infrastructure Mode. I've been working hard to ensure it works, along with my Ultimate Powerbox v2.
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Kevin J Ware.
4 years 6 months ago #43010

Do you have an ETA on the new image, or better yet, an ETA on a 'stable' release? I just re-flashed for the 6th time playing with both the Pi4 and SM-OS and would like some stability ; )
4 years 6 months ago #43014

I believe tomorrow (or maximum by Monday) is when the new image is ready. Why do you need to reflash? The image works fine currently as far as I know.
4 years 6 months ago #43019

Yes it works just fine, but I would want the new drivers, I was referring to you comment above saying the next RPi beta update requires a reflash...
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Kevin J Ware.
4 years 6 months ago #43037

Time to create page: 1.169 seconds