INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Stellarmate App - What can it do?

• Thank you received: 4
Hi,

I am looking to improve control of my AP setup. I have INDI/EKOS set up on a Laptop and on a RPi running Manjaro, but I would like to have a more streamlined interface. Here the StellarMate App (hopefully) comes into play. What are its limitations compared to the full EKOS experience and what functionality is exposed through the app? I would need the following:

- Interface with an astronomy program to select targets, slew and see my FOV based on the current plate solve. Which ones can I use on android?
- Plate solving and syncing and slew to target.
- Autofocusing
- Polar alignment assistant
- Full camera control with cooling, gain, offset, etc.
- Capture sequence for multiple filters with AF between filter changes. Multiple targets would be nice, but not really required.
- Guiding. Can it be setup so that PHD2 is used on the host?

I am using the following setup, all of which work with a custom INDI/EKOS setup:
- ASI183MM Pro and ASI120MM
- ZWO 8x EFW
- Vixen GP with SynScan - EQMOD
- Custom motor focus with indi-driver available through github.
- On occasion a Canon 1000Da or Nikon D3100

Any insights or recommendations? I also have been looking at the ASIAIR, but it seems that the system is pretty closed up and I wouldn't be able to get my focuser working.

A time limited demo version of the StellarMate software would be nice for evaluation ;)

Thank you
Sven
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by freiform. Reason: typos
4 years 5 months ago #44415

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 40
I tell you for the price, just get a Raspberry Pi4 (I'd get 2+ GB's) and buy the OS (about $50). Give it a try.

I've been using it for about a year and it's wonderful. Obviously with anything this complex there are issues. I've learned what works and what crashes it (very little, but it happens).

I'm not familiar with everything you have but it doesn't sound like anything everyone else uses.

Mine is:
Canon 600D - Main Camera
ZWO ASI120MC-S Guide Camera
SkyWatcher EQR-6 Pro Mount
AFI DeepSkyDad Focuser
ZWO EFW Five-Position Filter Wheel - 1.25"

Edit: (Sorry I read your post as... What "can't' it do)

- Interface with an astronomy program to select targets, slew and see my FOV based on the current plate solve. Which ones can I use on android?
YES
- Plate solving and syncing and slew to target.
YES
- Autofocusing
YES (but I still use my Bahtinov mask because at this time I'm experiencing the donut issue. I think I heard this might be fix in the next release)
- Polar alignment assistant
YES, but I don't use it (yet)
- Full camera control with cooling, gain, offset, etc.
YES
- Capture sequence for multiple filters with AF between filter changes. Multiple targets would be nice, but not really required.
YES
- Guiding. Can it be setup so that PHD2 is used on the host?
YES
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by David Tate.
4 years 4 months ago #45204

• Thank you received: 10
Have you seen the updated video that shows pretty good detail on the Stellarmate app?

There are definite limitations compared to the full client, but that's a "point in time" statement as the product is evolving pretty quickly.
4 years 4 months ago #45206

Hi, thank you fo the detailed answer, much appreciated. Unfortunately not quite on point ;).

I was asking about the mobile app. I am already using a custom INDI/EKOS installation on my Laptop, and I suppose that StellarMate doesn't expand EKOS base functionality beyond what I already have.

I have an EQMod enabled Vixen GP, an ASI183mm pro, a small guiding system with an ASI 120mm, the ZWO filter wheel and a custom focuser. All of which work with my current INDI/EKOS setup.

My question was with regards to how much of EKOS' functionally is exposed through the mobile app? How much of my setup can I control? How do I select targets? How does it interface with mobile planetarium apps? Or is it just a fancy interface that let's me check if everything is still running smoothly from my couch?

Sven
4 years 4 months ago #45208

• Thank you received: 10
Not sure who you are saying is not on point, but did you watch the video? It is almost entirely about the mobile Stellarmate App.
4 years 4 months ago #45212

I only saw your initial answer, not the second one with the video. Anyway, I have seen the video and it didn't answer the questions I was asking. It just covers setup and basic capture.

Sven
4 years 4 months ago #45213

• Thank you received: 40
Sorry, I didn't notice you were talking about the "Mobile App". I thought you were talking about Stellarmate as a whole.

I use noVNC as my interface on my PC, tablet and phone. I really need to get into the Stellarmate "app". I've tried a few times, but since I don't really get the advantage because it seems disconnected from KStars, I always fall back on nVNC.

I would like something I can use outside my local network. Like when I go to my kids house while it's still light out I'd like to login to the app and start some pictures.
4 years 4 months ago #45214

Oh, that problem can be easily solved. If you have a proper router (I use it on a FritzBox), just set up a VPN. This let's you login into your home network and have full access, just as your local devices. I use it to access e.g. my NAS when at the office or on the road. I also understand that the Ekos Live Service also lets you access your gear from anywhere, I have never tried it, though.

www.stellarmate.com/products/ekos-live.html

Sven
4 years 4 months ago #45215

Time to create page: 0.658 seconds