INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Joystick from Ubuntu client running KStar to remote Stellarmate?

• Thank you received: 2
I recently got Stellarmate OS running on my EQ6R mount and controlling (still a work in process with Jasem - the NexDome). I have it running on a Raspberry Pi 3 which is remotely controlled with WiFi to my observatory in the yard.
I've been playing with the joystick trying to figure out how to make that work. I got it recognized and and showing movements and buttons working on the local client machine in the house. I'm trying to figure out how to make it work to control the scope outside on the Pi.
Do I need to configure it on the server side first, then configure the client? Just a little confused as this point since in this case the client would be acting as a server to the outside Pi (sending info TO the outside Pi server to move the mount).
Any ideas how to configure it? I've been searching, but not finding the clues yet.
Thanks!

Tom
4 years 4 months ago #45311

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 11
Hi Tom,
Isn't a joystick more useful outside at the mount? That's how I use it, just to centre my reddot finder on a bright star for instance (nowadays I strictly use platesolving however....)
On the local machine you have the virtual handcontroller on your screen.
Cheers, Arnold
4 years 4 months ago #45393

True! I most likely would be used at the scope itself. Most of the time I'm running it remotely from inside the house and thought the joystick would be a pretty nice option for controlling it. I can see the complication though, the client would in a way be acting as a server, sending the position data back to the Pi 'server' and having it move. I have used the mount control in Kstars and works fine. Like you, most of the time the platsolving even reduces much need for that!

Clear skies!
Tom
4 years 4 months ago #45403

• Thank you received: 226
I suggest pairing it to the Pi at the mount where it is most likely to be used.
Install jstest-gtk to configure the joystick and calibrate the analog stick. The only quirk with it is saving the configuration does not work properly and requires a command in the terminal to save it permanently.
sudo jscal-store /dev/input/js0
By the way, joysticks have a bad habit of going to sleep. Whenever this happens you must stop and restart the Joystick INDI Driver after waking up the controller.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tom Gwilym
4 years 4 months ago #45408

Thanks for the comments. I think I'll just put the joystick idea aside for now maybe, or just set it up outside where the Pi server is. Otherwise I just use the hand controller anyway. Sounded like a fun option, but seems it's probably more trouble than worth a this point.
4 years 4 months ago #45425

Time to create page: 0.537 seconds