INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

1.4.6 release - impressions, problems, etc. Please post.

• Thank you received: 420
Since you use the camera for guiding only, you may want to try 8 bit images instead of 16 bit if you run into issues again. Plus I should have remembered that there is a mini version so I should have asked that, sorry.
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Wouter van Reeven.
4 years 2 months ago #48254
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 0

I don't think you get my frustration: I'm sure it works really fantastically on a fully fledged computer. I have Win 10 software that works fantastically well with my kit and software. If I could have APT or Sharpcap running wirelessly from a cigarette packet sized PC I would have bought that. There isn't one. So I purchased this! I don't want to work AP from a laptop otherwise I'd continue to do so on Window 10 on my laptop with software I know that works with my kit I know that works using ASCOM drivers I know that work albeit in a wired environment I'm trying to get away from. The purpose of buying this Stellarmate was for operating a wireless micro pc like the RPix - to be compact, wireless and free! Not to be shackled to my AP kit. Clearly this version is still in development. It's beta right? Why won't it at least do basic stuff like SAVE settings when you SET them. Still not impressed...

Thanks but no thanks. No consolation for my feelings and know you mean well.
4 years 2 months ago #48256
  • Thank you received: 17
Try this, It works well, read the instructions carefully and give it a go
github.com/rlancaste/AstroPi3
It's what I and a lot of other people on this forum use with a raspberry Pi 3B+ or Pi4. It takes a while for the initial set up but works fine over VNC or via Indi web manager.
Get a 32Gb class 10 SD card flash on the operating system (use Raspbian if you are using a Pi4 or Ubuntu Mate for a Pi3B+) connect the internet, monitor, mouse & keyboard to the Pi then follow the instructions and run the correct script from terminal.
Works every time for me.

Regards Alan
4 years 2 months ago #48261

Hi Alan,

I am new to Linux. I mean green new. I'm only using Linux because of StellarMate and RPi4 and it apparently being able to interface with my main equipment which is working with Windows. I do not think with my experience with the Linux GUI I could even contemplate attempting something like what you suggest. I am sure it works well for you and others. But going back to why I went for StellarMate and the RPi4 was simply because it was something I could almost relate too and believed from in reading the blurb on the website that it did exactly what it said on the tin. It doesn't.

With respect, I don't think I can leap into a further abyss on learning something new. I'll persevere with this StellarMate and my RPi4. If I get nowhere I will just bin it and go back to old fashioned wired technology, ASCOM and Windows. Life is too short.

Thanks for the suggestion. I had a peek at it. It looked scary enough for me to say "Nah... you're alright". I'm sure it is very simple and I am the dummy, but I am good at other things in life.

Jaq
4 years 2 months ago #48268
I can understand your frustration, I used Ascom and when I first started with Indi & KStars I struggled, especially with the Linux side of things getting all the USB ports set so they didn’t fight over their port numbers at every startup, but I like the all in one place set up so I stuck with it. Now my Pi4 mounts on the scope outside and I sit in the warm house and monitor the progress over VNC.

Stick with it it does work.

I’m sure that Stellarmate will do it’s thing when you get it sorted, this forum & Google will get it working that’s how I achieved it.

Alan
4 years 2 months ago #48271

Hi Alan,

Apologies for my negativity and appreciate all those who tell me to hang in there.

I'm kind of thinking that managing work remotely via eKos might be less productive and less reliable than if I managing it locally and directly on the RPi4 using VNC remotely.

Again, being new, I'm guessing I need to download and install VCN on my Windows laptop and access the RPi4 via the Hotspot or via my internal network. I'm guessing if the latter I need to setup the RPi4 to access my internal router system (home network). Which is better??? I'm guessing if the latter (static IP address or wifi?) I could access it with any of my PCs on my home network as long as I have VCN on each regardless where they are. Which option is more reliable: hotspot or WiFi internal setup? Would working via VCN create less headache seeing you are working more locally albeit remotely?

Thanks again for your understanding. I'm kind of a bit fixated with Hotspot and working remotely. Maybe I need to rethink things.

Regards

Jaq
4 years 2 months ago #48272
  • Thank you received: 10
has anyone gotten through an imaging session with 1.4.6 without it freezing up ??? for the life of me I cannot.
4 years 2 months ago #48279
We will start sharing images for SM OS v1.4.7 for RPI4 within a couple of weeks. It should provide more stability improvements. If you want to beta test this version, please send an email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. to express your interest and you will be signed up to receive it in a few days.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr Jacques Prince
4 years 2 months ago #48288
Sounds awesome! Will the new version be upgradable using apt or some other tool?
4 years 2 months ago #48290
Jaq,
Install Real VNC Viewer on the Windows machine, connect the Pi to your home network and run everything on the Pi4 it is more than capable. You can also put Real VNC Viewer on your phone or tablet & monitor the progress there if you like.

I personally found that the guiding performance wasn’t as good when using it as a server client set up due to lag over the network, unless I ran PHD2 directly on the Pi via the ST4 cable. But that’s a bit of extra work to start PHD2 before you connect the server, again this can be done over VNC if needed.

I found I don’t need a static IP on the network just use the address shown in the Stellarmate tutorial video Stellarmate.local I think from memory.

At least doing it this way you’ll get results.

Try it first with the simulators, then connect the other equipment 1 item at a time and make sure it works before saving the configuration, then shutting down and restarting the Pi before connecting the next item. Doing things this way helps isolate problems with an individual piece of kit.

Good Luck

Alan
4 years 2 months ago #48293

Hi Alan

Your giving me a little ray of hope. Ill try this. Tell me one thing... Wireless connectivity: If using VCN on my laptop is there any difference if i use it via home network or hotspot. I would have thought the latter was more direct and more stable?

Regards

Jaq
4 years 2 months ago #48304
Jaq,

I would use the home WiFi initially, the hotspot on the Pi4 can be a bit weak at times.
To get it all working and ensure good connectivity in the first instance use a network cable if you have one direct to the modem router, then switch to the home WiFi once you have it working as it should. Take it a step at a time and you shouldn’t have any great issues

From my experiments with the hotspot on the Pi4 it appears to work best when there’s no other WiFi signals about for example in the middle of a field.

Regards Alan
4 years 2 months ago #48315
Time to create page: 0.740 seconds