INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Is there a way to minimize the Ekos GUI with window controls?

• Thank you received: 117
Related to the last post on increasing display size, in my situation, the Pi4 StellarMate OS main menu choices for "Preferences, Displays" didn't well represent my laptop monitor resolution. I needed to add an additional resolution size to the OS main menu Preferences - Displays selection menu.
Use instructions found at the website below to explore and then add the resolution that best fits your PC/Laptop display resolution:
ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2017/04/cus...tion-ubuntu-desktop/
I was able to follow those instructions exactly to add and resize the Pi4 display (and by extension VNC). You might not get an exact match to your desired resolution, but I found that if I entered numbers that I wanted, a nearest best match was returned. I then just configured and used the nearest match resolution, and it worked well. In my case, my laptop prefers a "closest match" window size (no scroll bars) of "1856x1000". Much better overall Pi4/KStars GUI real-estate config. So far, so good! Hope this helps others too.
4 years 2 months ago #47612

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 2
Thanks Rolf. This is great to know. This behaviour has always annoyed me. This does raise the question, however, why isn't separate windows the default behaviour? What is the advantage of the current default behaviour?
4 years 2 months ago #47614

• Thank you received: 5
Sorry to bump such an old thread but I just wanted to point out that I am also getting the same odd collapsing behaviour on the log output text at the bottom.  Trying to resize it at all results in it being forced collapsed with no way to reopen it other than a kstars restart.

The main reason I am posting though is regarding the 'Independant window' option for ekos.  I have enabled this checkbox for both the indi window and ekos.  It works as expected for indi, but the ekos window remains as it was before -- bound to kstars and without the minimize or maximize buttons in the top bar.

NOTE: This is on kstars 3.4.1 which is the version currently on apt (running linux mint).  Its possible this has been fixed in a newer version but not sure.
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Andrew Buck.
2 years 4 months ago #77052

• Thank you received: 226
You have to restart KStars for the independant window option to take effect. And I believe you can resize that log box when the window is maximized.
2 years 4 months ago #77061

I did restart the program a couple of times as I was tinkering with other stuff and the change does not appear to be taking effect.
2 years 4 months ago #77077

I went out with the telescope again tonight and in using ekos I did notice that the 'Independent window' option is working, just not exactly as I anticipated it would. I did notice tonight that when I tried to move the ekos control window to another desktop it did work as expected, so the button is having an effect after all. What got me confused and made me think that it wasn't working was the fact that for the indi control window, making it independent not only lets you move it to a separate desktop, but it also adds the minimize and maximize buttons to the top bar of the window. For the ekos control it does let you move it independently like indi does, but it does not add the minimize and maximize buttons to the top. When I didn't see the buttons get added I incorrectly assumed that the changes hadn't taken effect since I had already seen that behaviour on the indi window and was expecting both the behave the same. Sorry for the confusion on the matter, just a mixup on my part, although the behaviour of the UI is a bit inconsistent.

The lack of min/max buttons at the top is maybe a separate issue that could be added -- not really a bug, more of a feature request. In any case, I did get the window to behave as I wanted it to, even if it was not obvious UI wise that the behaviour was working correctly.
2 years 4 months ago #77107

Time to create page: 0.615 seconds