INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Issues or general comments of the new Raspbian Based Stellarmate 1.5.0

• Thank you received: 117
I really struggled with USB / hotspot issues in the prior SM OS release, but this new release seems very stable. My config is: Pi4-4GB, 120GB SSD, ASI183mc Pro, ASI290mm Mini Guidescope, ASI EAF focuser, PPB, Celestron CGX-L mount. I use a powered 7 port USB 3 hub for all devices, and only the powered hub is connected to the Pi4's USB 3 port. Currently, I'm using a dedicated/separate 3 amp PS for the Pi4. All other power is from a 10amp PS split between mount and PPB (and then outward to USB hub, camera, focuser, and OTA fan).

I am still struggling a bit with "Infrastructure mode" networking dropping back to the generic hotspot, but I don't think this has anything to do with the new release. I read in one post that USB powered hubs might interfere with networking. Investigating/experimenting. Also heard that a USB based wireless antenna might help...thinking about this. Finally, the ever present "weak power" subject lingers, causing me to continue my search for a better way to maximize input power to the Pi (currently via either a more robust C cable or ganged hub output).

Overall, very happy so far with this new release stability!
The following user(s) said Thank You: AstroNerd
4 years 1 month ago #49777
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 1
When the dashboard is started while connected with the realVNC viewer, it is frequently disconnected. I have reported it to jasem, do you have any similar symptoms? By the way, disconnection does not occur when you are not connected to the dashboard.
4 years 1 month ago #49785
  • Thank you received: 9
I have had a couple disconnects when running wifi but cannot recall that I did with direct ethernet. There are a lot of wifi devices here in my office, so who knows the cause might be interference. I might try Teamviewer, assuming my older license will work with it and see if it works any better than VNC.
4 years 1 month ago #49786
  • Thank you received: 20
Hello,

I have the same behaviour. Wi-Fi disconnect when using dashboard (some times).
i also have some lags with kstars/ekos.
thanks for reporting to Jasem.

Clear skies
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by ouioui01. Reason: typo
4 years 1 month ago #49787
  • Thank you received: 86
1.5.0 seems to be the best SM release for RPI4 so far.
WiFi hotspot is finally working reliably (I don't really need it anymore but still it's a big improvement).
Only tried things indoors. Everything seems to be OK.
Tomorrow night will try outside.

A couple of questions:
-- What about the updates? How to install the nightlies?
-- How do I prevent KStars from starting automatically (in Ubuntu it was easy...)

Thanks!
-- Max S
ZWO AM5. RST-135. AZ-GTI. HEQ5. iOptron SkyTracker.
TPO RC6. FRA400. Rokinon 135 and other lenses.
ZWO ASI2600MC. D5500 modified with UVIR clip-in filter.
ZWO ASI120MM Mini x 2. ZWO 30F4 guider. Orion 50mm guider.
ZWO EAF x 2.
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by maxthebuilder.
4 years 1 month ago #49797
  • Thank you received: 1
4 years 1 month ago #49800
Attachments:
  • Thank you received: 182
In my usual 'Do it yourself, damn the torpedoes' mentality, I tried to create my own Raspbian based system from sources only. Happy to report that I got everything installed, KStars, Indi drivers, everything showing up nicely, although I also encountered problems with the dependencies as shown in an earlier post here, which I solved, by installing them one by one.
At that point, I thought it was appropriate to open the champagne and have a good sip.
Glad that I did, because when I tried to use it with my equipment I got a KStars crash. Intriguingly, every single one of my components registers and starts fine from Ekos and/or the Device Manager, but for some reason when I want to start my Polemaster together with the ZWO guide and image cameras in Ekos, Kstars crashes. Same happens when I try to connect to a camera and to my iOptron SmartEQ mount at the same time, i.e. during Ekos startup.
Has anyone seen that kind of behavior? Clearly, the driver are there and working, but they do not like to work together.

The same system constellation is working just fine using Ubuntu MATE as the OS, so it should not be an inherent driver or KStars problem. Must have to do with the way I installed it on Buster.
Does anyone have any ideas what the mistake could have been?
4 years 1 month ago #49809
  • Thank you received: 9
El Corazon - see if any of your devices have 8bit / 16bit drivers and try the 8bit settings. I had to do this with the ASI120mm mini, not sure if that is the same as your 120mm-S.
4 years 1 month ago #49812
  • Thank you received: 40
When I first used it, I had screen tearing issues with noVNC (I think that's the term), but Jasem on another occasion told me to clear my cache in my browser. I did that and it cleared right up!

I also didn't like the screen colors and odd fonts (to bright), but that was easily changed with Raspbian screen preferences.

And in order to get the new Sextrator astrometry feature you need to run the following: sudo apt update && sudo apt-get upgrade -y && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Here is the discussion of what it is:
knro.blogspot.com/2020/02/kstars-v340-is...kdhoXFcTYE59Xt8yFbiQ

Oh yeah, make sure your ZWO camera is taking 16bit images instead of 8bit. Not sure this is a new release issue (I seem to remember my last night with the old version did this). But just check. Change it in the INDI camera setup section.
"wvreeven wrote: Start Ekos with the cameras attached and go to the last tab in the configuration editor. There at the bottom you can set the bit depth. You may want to override the *.default config files in the .indi directory in your home dir with the lastly saved ones so this won’t happen anymore."
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by David Tate. Reason: Added another thought.
4 years 1 month ago #49817
  • Thank you received: 117
@Max: A couple of questions:
-- What about the updates? How to install the nightlies?
-- How do I prevent KStars from starting automatically (in Ubuntu it was easy...)

@megiddo: And in order to get the new Sextractor....

I want to second Max's questions.....I've not seen any updates yet (seems suspicious...there's usually some updates by now). I also want to know how to disable KStars from autostart. Finally, it's not clear that to use SExtractor on SM OS 1.5 we need to do the sudo apt commands. Can someone confirm this is for SM OS, or is this just for DIY installs?
4 years 1 month ago #49819
  • Thank you received: 40
For the Sextractor (Sex Tractor What??? :woohoo: ) Update... I opened a terminal and entered (copy & paste, using the noVNC clipboard icon, very helpful)

sudo apt update && sudo apt-get upgrade -y && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

On the copy/Paste in noVNC, click the clipboard icon, paste in your item.... select it all again and copy it. Seems to be the way that works for me. You can also do the opposite from the SM back into Windows.
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by David Tate.
4 years 1 month ago #49828
  • Thank you received: 140

This thread is for Stellarmate 1.5.0 Users, not people have built there own raspbian based system, so your best to post in the general Kstars section.... :)
4 years 1 month ago #49829
Time to create page: 0.837 seconds