INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Connecting SM to your home wifi?

• Thank you received: 0
I got my new Stellarmate up and running and so far am happy with it. I opted to run it off a 2GB RPi4 rather than the Stellarmate gadget. So far been in hotspot mode and running VNC on my iMac. I want to use the desktop Ekos/kStars instead and connect it up to my home wifi. How do I do this? The only info I can find says that you connect to wifi with the app. Don't I need to have bought the SM gadget to use the app?
Equipment: Skywatcher HEQ5 - Stellarvue 80mm access - Canon 6D (unmodified) - Stellarvue 50mm Guide Scope - ZWO ASI290MM Mini - Rasp Pi4
4 years 1 month ago #50102

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 9
The way I do it: Use my MacBook to VNC onto the StellarMate OS and use "Connect to Hidden Network" in wifi options in the control panel at the top. Then I enter in my wifi info and connect. It always works for me but I'm not sure if this is the "preferred" way. After I get connected, I edit the connections to make sure the home wifi auto-connects instead of the StellarMate hotspot. If for some reason I doesn't see the home wifi because I'm in the field or away from home, it will alway revert back to the StellarMate hotspot.

-Wesley
4 years 1 month ago #50220

• Thank you received: 40
I'm fortunate to have a fixed pier, so I ran an ethernet cable. 11mb/sec transfer rate vs my wireless was <4mb. Makes a big difference when moving 16 gigs of images to my PC. ;)

But for a year I used wireless. When I did it, I had to use the ethernet to first connect, then go in to the connection icon (top right) and configure my wireless. Then you can unplug your ethernet cable.

Now others have had luck using the hotspot instead of the cable. I never did.
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by David Tate.
4 years 1 month ago #50224

Time to create page: 0.982 seconds